2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Screen block Stuck on Screen after Save (Word 2002)

I have experienced a new characteristic of word following an upgrade to Word 2002. On occassions, when I save a document (normally a large document) I am left with a block (1.5 cm by 7 cm) of the screen. So when I scroll up or down the page I am left with this 'block' (akin to a small section of a screen dump) in the left hand corner of the screen. The only way to get rid of it is to shut down the file or word (I cant quite remember).

Does anyone have any ideas to get rid of this characteristics?

Thanks

Re: Screen block Stuck on Screen after Save (Word 2002)

Was there a message or dialog of some kind in that space before or during the save process? Is it just white space or does it look like part of some other open program window, or...?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is part of the active 'MS Word' screen (document text) prior to the save. No error dialogues are associated with this problem. Also, it does not corrupt the file---when you reopen the file the 'block'. Is gone.

If this is relevant...I am running XP Pro.

Thanks

Sounds like Windows is having a video memory problem, but it's just a guess. If it happens again, try to get a screen shot of it before you reboot; maybe someone will recognize the pattern.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Claude

Does the screen artifact live on if you minimise Word and then maximise it again?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,

I cannot duplicate the fault at the moment so an answer to your question will have to wait. I will take better notes, a screen dump etc of the problem the next time it happens.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your screen shot is a .bmp, try converting it to .png or .jpg. You can use Paint (if you have a recent version of Windows), or Microsoft Photo Editor (part of Microsoft Office) or a dedicated graphics program such as Irfanview for that. You can also crop the image to show only the relevant part of the screen. Combined, this should get the size below the 100 K limit for attaching.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to remove e-mail request - see <!rule=10>Rule 10<!/rule>)

The artifact stays on the screen following minimisation, closing of the document where the artifact was originally created and even when all other word documents were closed. I cant attach the file due size (cant seem to reduce it?) It may be a video capacity problem afterall.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to reduce huge screenshot in size)

Andrew,

the artifact remains on after minimising, saving etc. It does not appear on other programs such as excell, access or in the windows environment ....only in Word (ie when the artifact is up, you can switch between the programs and it only appears in Word). The artifact remains even when opening a new document. It also changes each time you pull up another GUI eg Save As. An example is posted. The only way to get rid of it is to close down and restart word...no big drama, just a pain sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Claude

This is not just a video refresh problem so it must be a bug either within Word itself or possibly as a result of its interaction with something else you have loaded. Do you know if other machines similarly configured there have the same problem?

Without knowing how to replicate the problem reliably, you may need to disable various applications/services for long periods of time to be able to diagnose the culprit if it is due to another application. Norton's Anti-Virus would be an obvious one to try first (if you are running it) because I know it does odd things with dialogs in Word 2000.

Perhaps there is a macro that you can run to refresh the screen rather than needing to exit. Next time it happens you might try something along the lines of "Application.Refresh"

Does changing the zoom have any effect? What mode are you running Word in - Multiple Document Interface (MDI) or Single Document Interface (SDI)?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just thought I would let you know that the firm I work for has been having the same issue. There does not seem to be any sequence or event that makes it happen.

Thanks

This is very odd. Word is constantly repainting its screen space as you move around the document. It's almost as if neither Word nor Windows is taking responsibility for that patch of screen and both are just leaving it there. If closing Word fixes it, then it seems it's really Word's "fault" (as if that will help us!). It might take a few weeks before someone figures this out, but if many people are experiencing it, we'll get a solution at some point.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I too have a very similar problem. In my case it occurs in Excel 2002 after running macros from the VBE. The problem part of the screen is left with a small square area from one of my worksheets.

StuartR