New Lounger
    Thanks

Linked Worksheets in Word Docs (9.0.3821 SR-1)

My version(working): 9.0.4402 SR-1

Hi, I have a frustrating issue with paste-linked Excel Worksheets in Word documents.

I create mock-up Report Layouts in Excel and paste link these as a Worksheet Object into my Report Reference Guides in Word. The referenced areas can include up to 20 columns. After resizing the in-line object in Word, they fit and display beautifully from my PC, however, when a colleague tries to update or edit one of these linked objects, Word automatically cuts X number of columns from the right of the object.

The maximum number of columns does not seem relevant.

I can fix these occurrences by simply updating the linked objects from my PC. As soon as someone else does the same, they are cut off again.

I would love to know an explanation for this, as it does not affect me, it affects everything I do.

Greig.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Linked Worksheets in Word Docs (9.0.3821 SR-1)

I don't know why they don't get cut off on your PC as well but I am familiar with how Excel tables get truncated without notice.

Word automagically shrinks objects it is introducing to keep the object fitting inside the page setup margins. However, when you paste an Excel object into Word, there is a definite maximum width that will make it into Word. If Word needs to shrink the table by more than ~50-55% then it neglects to mention that it drops some of those pesky additional columns. I would estimate that 20 columns exceeds this reduction size and therefore you are losing columns.

When you notice this problem, you can resize the columns in Excel to reduce the total width of the selection and this will allow additional columns to make it across into Word. Changing the zoom does nothing for you - it is the actual 100% zoom size that Word is reducing to the page margins.

You may be able to increase the width that Word will accept by changing the page setup - but that is a guess.

If you are seeing an earlier build of Word 9 displaying the problem and your later build does not then maybe it was fixed in between times.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Andrew for your reply.

I am familiar with this issue from past experiences. However that fact I can do it means it can be done. The puzzling thing is understanding or determining what is different on my machine or Word installation. I have tried this test on other versions of Word, 9.0.6926 SP3 in particular, which I understand to be the latest update to Word200 and it exhibits exactly the same unwanted behaviour.

Is there is any chance that a background or behind the scenes the application/add-in/component etc may be contributing to my ability to do this? If you have any ideas I would like to investigate.

Thanks
    Greig.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil (and Loungers), I really appreciate your experimenting.

Can you and anyone else try something for me?

There is an attachment at the beginning of this thread containing a Word doc and the linked Excel file. If you open the Word doc you should see the linked image in its entirety (if 'Update automatic links at Open' is unchecked in Tools|Options-General). This image is supposed to represent an A4 Landscape page-wide, deliberately truncated vertically. Select it and press F9 to update it, and the image should remain the same. If you have the issue that I am trying to resolve, columns on the right of the image will disappear. If you double-click the image, the Excel file should be launched and you should see the original selection area (A1:I20) containing these columns.

Even when the image is truncated, when you double-click it, you can see the correct selection area in Excel.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has a go.

Greig.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Greig:
    I have Word 2000 9.0.6936 SP-3. I just tested by linking a 26 column table using Paste Special/HTML format. No columns were cut off [bin normal view[/b]. However, it far exceeded my margin width & so would be cut off if I printed it. If I switch to Print Layout, then columns were cut off visually. However, they still existed in the document.

I then selected the table & choose Table/Autofit/to window. This allowed me to see all my columns by squeezing the empty columns (I only had data in the first 7 & the last column.) Note that updating the table caused caused the columns to extend off the page again.

When I was im Print Layout view, I was able to choose the Autofit/to window option & see all my data. Of course, depending upon the number of columns, it'll be too small to read.

I would also mention that when I copied my spreadsheet to the clipboard before pasting, I got two messages in Excel that the "picture was too large & would be truncated". However, clicking OK to both of these didn't seem to affect anything.

Does your experience differ from this? I can't remember if I made a modification somewhere in the past to avoid the problem.

P.S. Just tried it paste linking as Formatted text & got even better results. (It centered itself.)

P.P.S. I just downloaded your attachment & found that all the columns were shown on my PC. If I find the setting or modification, I'll post back.