2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bootup/Log on loop (XP Home)

Hello Friends, Today I need help for my daughter please. XP Home, 1GHZ Processor 256 RAM She knows nothing about computers, only using hers for University work, and is now desperate for help quickly. I`m trying to help and have managed to get the error report from her. Here`s the problem in a nutshell. For a few weeks any program she was using,including IE, was freezing and "had to close" These were usually Word or Win Explorer. She doesn`t run anything else. This happened randomly and sometimes all well for a week or so. Zone Alarm always involved and had shut down. I don`t think XP is corrupted as it is a new installation. I told her to get error report--
    COCUME~1|CAZLOCALS~1TEMPWER6.tmp.dir00appcompot.txt . Another error report too which is same except for "WER 8" instead of "WER 6" A reboot usually fixed problem initially.
    I was going to go to her house, but last night the system has gone into a loop between initial Boot up screen and Log on. She cannot get in at all. I am going to her house tonight, and hope that you can give me some advice on what to do. I cannot find this error in Knowledge Base I set her up with AVG running automatically so no viruses. Made her run Adaware and Spybot a few days ago, and nothing found there either.I hope this is enough information for you as I am in a hurry. Thanks for your help
    Elaine

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bootup/Log on loop (XP Home)

If you have a chance, please OPEN text document (appcompot.txt) you mentioned and post the content.
    Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You stated that ZoneAlarm is always involved - where did you get the information that leads you to this conclusion? Since it's causing you grief, the first thing to do is to completely remove it and then reinstall, to see if the problem persists.

It would also be helpful to know if this problem started in association with anything else - software installed recently, other suspicious behavior from the PC.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Mark, I haven`t been to see for myself yet, so I`m not too clear what is happening as she was just trying to answer my questions on the phone. There was some sort of error involving "zapro" and I know that is Zone Alarm. It had shut down, and I was planning on uninstalling it if I can get into the system. I too am missing the Search on this site as I`m sure I remember a similar error message before. I think the advice given was to delete the Minidump and any folders associated with it in My Documents. The problem is not associated with any new installations as none have been done lately. As I said if I can get in I will check Minidump, turn off Error Reporting. Check Event Viewer and Device Manager. I think the first sign of trouble was Word having to shut down for no reason, quickly followed by IE doing the same thing. I will have a look at all of them tonight along with the "text" document involved as Kaplinb suggested and let you know what I find out.Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. Will do so tonight if I can get in. Have a lot of things to check out. Will let you know how I get on Thanks for the help.
    Elaine

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To Mark and kaplinb , I went to the PC tonight and couldn`t get past the login screen- just the continual loop back to bootup. I put in my daughter`s XP Home CD and tried Safe Mode and Last Good Configuration. Both only produced black screens. Then I reformatted "C" and tried to reinstall XP. This would not work either as I had numerous messages that "The file could not be copied" or that"The file had been copied wrongly" I tried several times getting the same messages, but the names of the files which could not be copied were different every time. I wondered if her CD (which is a legitimate copy) was at fault, so I went home for mine just to see if this was the case. Well....I just got the same results, and after 4 hours of wasted time we are no further forward. I think that there must be something wrong with either the computer itself or with the CD Drive. Whatever it is, I cannot get in to fix it, so I am going to take it to be checked and repaired.Thank you both for your help, but I think this is beyond me.
    Elaine

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have had similar errors trying to install Win2K on an older machine. Windows kepttrying to tell me that files on the installation disc could not be read. The problem eventually turned out to be faulty memory. Make sure that the engineer tests this first, if the machine is under warranty. If not and you feel up to having a go yourself, you can download memory testing software at http://www.memtest86.com/
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm with you on your idea about RAM possibly being the cause of the problem. I've experienced it myself a number of times - either spurious re-boot OR boot time "looping." It's not happened to me since we've come to the XP-era, but a number of times in the past. You MIGHT get a little more confirmation if you try to boot the system with a good boot floppy, to see if it refuses to boot there also.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My problem was with the second of two 128MB sticks, in an upper memory block. Mostly, Windows worked around it, until you asked it to do something that called for all the available system memory, like installing from a CD or running several open windows. No problems would appear booting from a floppy, as DOS would never get near the bad block. It showed up straight away when I ran the MemTest software from a bootable CD (also available in FDD version), though.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sparky and Big Al, You just might be correct about faulty memory.About a year ago the RAM was doubled, and I remember a few months ago she was getting messages about low virtual memory. I set the Paging file to 11/2 RAM for both max + min, and the messages stopped. It could well be some problem with that cropping up again now. Looks really possible since Al was getting the "looping" too. I will tell the engineer to check for that first.Thanks for the help. I`ll let you know what happens, but it will probably take a while.
    Elaine

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have the problem fixed, and I am just posting in case this might help others in the future. The computer originally only had 4GB Hard Drive and about a year ago another 40GB drive was added along with more RAM and a Motherboard. According to the technician of the little local company who does our repairs, the original 4GB Drive had gone bad and had jiggered the Motherboard which was not holding a charge, just giving it all out again (or something like that).This was why the system was just looping back to logon all the time.They removed the bad Hard Drive and gave us a new Motherboard which luckily was still under guarantee from the previous upgrade. Apparently the RAM was OK, but they replaced it with DDR RAM to suit the new Motherboard. Thanks everyone for all your help.
    Elaine

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm very glad y'all got things squared away. It does sound like a Techie Guy was into a little double-talk with ya however. Seems like if the hard drive was "bad" she probably wouldn't have been getting all the way to a logon screen. Certainly happy they replaced the mobo AND hard drive for you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al, Well, they know I`m not very hot when it comes to the working of hard drives and Motherboards. They left me to set it all up again, and so far all seems to be OK. They are very helpful though and will come back if I need help to get going after this repair without charging any more. Main thing is it seems to be fixed, it didn`t cost much, and most of the system is back on guarantee. I`m not going to rock the boat. Thanks.
    Elaine