Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE opens with Windows Update not homepage(6 XPsp1)

Hi all,

Recently my browser has started going to the Windows Update site every time it is opened, despite my homepage being set to about:blank. If I hit the "home" icon it goes to the blank page as expected.

Does anyone know how I can persuade IE to go to the blank homepage and not "call home" to WIndows Update every time..

In fact the browser opens with a MS redirect URL that I don't get chance to see properly, which forwards on to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie5/do...ad/ieupdate.htm, which in turn forwards on to WIndows Update. The whole point of setting my homepage to blank is to speed up the opening process as I'm on a fairly slow machine here!!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE opens with Windows Update not homepage(6 XPsp1)

I've had this happen a few times, using XP Home version - seems to happen when there is an uncontrolled shutdown - power outage or some other lockup causing a quick shutdown. I reset to my normal home page, and no further problems - until another uncontrolled shutdown.

Thanks

Hi, Mark ~

If you are comfortable in the registry and have it backed up, close all instances of IE & OE and then open Registry Editor and navigate one at a time to these two keys :

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain

HKEY_USERSS-1-5-21-583907252-1957994488-1060284298-1003SoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain

<UL><LI>In the right-hand pane, double-click 'Start Page'<LI>Enter about:blank if the 'Value data' is something other than that<LI>Close Registry Editor and open IE[/list]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I get that every so often. I suspect it has SOMETHING to do with running the "Critical Update Notification Service" (wucrtupd.exe) -- something I am just too paranoid to not run -- although I realize it is stupid to run this...

Does it happen when you are critically up-to-date?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bruce, the Start page" was set correctly in both sections of the registry, but under HKEY_USERS etc the "First Start Page" was set to do the MS redirect thing.. Setting that to about:blank has fixed things.

Thanks again,
    Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect it does have something to do with wucrtupd.exe, and yes I was up-to-date, although a new update has downloaded today..