Thread: 2nd Hard Drive

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2nd Hard Drive

I am setting up a system using WIN 2000 PRO. I want to use Norton's Ghost for backing up the Hard drive. I have set up the hard drive with 5 partitions - one for the OS, one for the SWAP file, one for TEMP files, one for DATA files and one for PROGRAM files. I have just connected a 2nd Hard drive (which was a pull from another system) Both hard drives are 20 GB. The second drive is showing a primary partition (H) with 5 GB, a Logical partition (I) 3 GB and a third unallocated space with 11 GB. The hard drive is a SEAGATE which offers its own Disk Manager software.

WIN 2000 offered to format the two partitions (H & I) when I started the system.

How do I format the entire 20 GB second drive so that I can use it with GHOST? Can I use WIN 2000 to do that?

I have Partition Magic 7.0.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2nd Hard Drive

Once the OS is installed, all versions of Windows will allow you to format a volume from within Windows Explorer. Just click on the drive, and it will offer - or you can also do it from the Disk Administrator in the system console.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Partition Magic is the best option and does a great job.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a thought. If both drives are the same size, might I recommend that you just mirror everything? Mirror all of your drive to the second drive, then break the mirrors. Whenever you want to 'update' the copy of your system, just reinstate the mirrors.

It's very handy. (I actually keep all my mirror's live, so I would be in trouble if I did something that actually affect the data on the drives, versus a drive failure.)