Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing help popups (Word 2000 SP-3)

This may have been asked and answered but with the search utility down, I can't check. Please excuse me if this is redundant.

In Word's help window there are a number of "highlighted" words and phrases that I have clicked on in the past to get a detailed definition. Some are HTML documents and others are java script: help popups. Clicking on the HTML objects takes me to another help page but clicking on the help popups does absolutely nothing - there is no response. They used to work, I'm not sure what has changed and I'm not sure when. Does anyone have a suggested fix?

Wayne Beninger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing help popups (Word 2000 SP-3)

Hi Wayne:
    You're talking about the "Show Me" popups. 5/20/00 When you install Uactlsec.exe, the Office 2000 Security Update: UA Control Vulnerability, it prevents using Office Assistant to get around macro virus protection and security settings. Once installed the 'Show Me' buttons placed on some help screens won't work.

IF you would rather have the popups back and realize that there <big>is a security risk</big>, you can:
    1. Close down all Office apps.
    2. Search for "Ouactrl.ocx". On a standalone machine with no profiles, it's in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice. Rename it to Ouactrl.oldocx.
    3. Restart Word.
    4. The Office Installer will ask for Office 2K CD. Put it in & late it update that file.

For what it's worth, I preferred the show me screens to the security risk, but I'm very careful about what I download.

Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested but the "tips" still don't come up. I rebooted and still no joy. The links that DO work show the "type" to be "HTML document" in the properties window (right click the link). The ones that do NOT show the type to be "not available". Could something else have changed, been corrupted or lost?

Again, thanks for the help.

Wayne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wayne:
    I suppose it's possible that something else happened. However, this happened to me twice (because it's "corrected" by later security patches also). Both times I was able to get the function back by following those steps.

Check the date of the Ouactrl.ocx & the Ouactrl.oldocx that you renamed. Mine are:

Ouactrl.ocx version 1.01.0009 dated 3/2/1999
    Ouactrl.oldocx version 2.0 dated 5/12/2000

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Again, thank you. I checked both files and they both have the 5/12/2000 date. I deleted ouactrl.ocx again and restarted Word (no other office programs running). It wasn't until I hit F1 for help that Word started to reconfigure. Since I originally loaded images of the CD's on my HD and installed from there, it didn't ask me to insert the CD. Should I try to find a ouactrl.ocx file elsewhere with the 3/2/1999 date? I appreciate your help.

Wayne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wayne:
    Yes, you need the old version. Apparently, whatever you had on disk was "updated" to fix the security leak. If you're using Win98, rename ouactrl.ocx to ouactrl.old2ocx or something. Then go to Start/run & type

sfc

& press Enter. When you run it, it should find ouactrl.ocx as missing & offer to restore it. Click yes to restore the file, but restore it from the original CD. I found mine in

R:PFILESMSOFFICEOFFICE

where R: is my CD-ROM drive.

If you're using another OS, I'm sure there's a comparable feature to restore a file. You can actually do it manually as long as the file isn't in use.

Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Phil,

That did the trick. I'm using XP and starting SFC from "run" requires a reboot. Then it finds whatever version of the .ocx file it needs and loads it automatically. It was the wrong one again so I deleted it and went to the disk image and simply moved one from the image to the Office folder and everything works like a charm. I suspect XP has a cache of "updated" system files on the HD that it uses for restoring instead of going back to the original CD. I guess that prevents re-installing something that hasn't been patched but it would sure be nice if they gave you a choice.

Thank you
    Wayne