2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Firewall (Windows XP)

I have learned that Windows XP has a firewall built in. I would like to use it on my home computer that is hooked directly to the internet throught a 56 K modem. Is the firewall in XP all I need or should I also go out and buy the firewall from either Mcafee or Norton. I guess what I am asking is whether or not the XP firewall is OK by Itself. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Thanks

Re: Windows XP Firewall (Windows XP)

Hi, John ~

The XP firewall (ICF) does not block outgoing traffic - it only monitors traffic one way. Microsoft or any trojan which may have slipped into your system can easily send info from your computer without any interference from ICF.

I recommend using the free version of Zone Alarm.

New Lounger
    Thanks

From all I've heard, the WinXP included firewall is pretty lame. Given their rep, I believe it. I have used the free ZoneAlarm firewall for years and like it very much. You individually select which programs on your machine are able to access the internet, as well as blocking all access to your machine from the internet. When you first set it up, it will tell you each time access it tried. After awhile, you'll want to turn off "Alert Events Shown" as it's basically just annoying. This won't effect the protection. As more programs you install attempt to access the internet, you can give each permission permanently, case-by-case, or block it completely.

Unfortunately, the new version has eliminated the desk band for WinXP, but it's still a great product. Setting it up with WinXP is a little more complicated than with previous versions, as XP has two programs that must be allowed access in order for other programs (OE, etc.) to work. "Common Client CC App" and "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" will both need access. I would also give your browser and email clients all access. Other than those, you can choose as you go.

Another nice feature is the "Stop all internet activity" option. If you right click on the tray icon, you can select this. It immediately shuts off the internet connection. Nice when you get on these nasty websites that popup new windows when you try to close them.

Give it a try.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Here is another very good Firewall I use Kerio

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

John, in addition to the other statements made, the XP firewall is a very basic utility and it's also hard to configure. It's better than nothing - but with so many free versions around for download, it's not the best choice. Recently Microsoft also acknowledged that their built in firewall does not protect against IPv6 traffic - a small concern currently, but a major hole in a security program by any measure.

I'm a user of Sygate's Personal Firewall Pro, which also has a free version. ZoneAlarm is a popular standby, but there are several on the market that will do the trick for you in addition to these two.

Bottom line, I'd avoid the XP firewall and download something with a little more "oomph."
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To everyone who has replied to my post, a big thank you for the guidance....will followup on your suggestions...thanks again, Johnl