Thread: LAN connection

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LAN connection

I have a PC connected to a cable modem. Another PC is tied into the cable modem through the first PC. I am replacing the second PC, and the tech says that it won

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: LAN connection

Wingate is a proxy program that allows sharing of the Internet connection. But I disagree with the tech, you can use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows 98 to accomplish sharing of your connection, and it's free. Wingate is more robust, but if you don't need its features, it seems like a needless expense.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And, if you really want to try a better solution, you should consider buying a two-port or four-port router. I think you'll find some good prices out there these days. My reasoning, besides the awkwardness of setting up ICS, is that using ICS, the second computer is "dependent" on the first computer being up and running. If you create a small network with a router, each computer is independently connected to the internet.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am a little out of my depth here. I believe that the current set-up is using a 4-port router. With the router, how are the PC's connected to the modem? The "dependency" that you mention would be unacceptable.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 30-May-03 08:57. )</P>Using my familiarity with MY Linksys four-port router, which has 4 sockets called LAN ports, and 1 socket called a WAN port. (Local Area Network, as opposed to Wide Area Network - internet). An ethernet cable runs from the network card of each PC to a LAN port on the router. Another cable connects the WAN port on the router to the Cable or DSL modem, which of course is then running to the cable or dsl connection, probably in your wall. I'm sure there are diagrams of this out on the web but I didn't take time to go Googling. If this is the layout you already have then you don't need ICS or Wingate!

Edited to add: I discovered I do have a GIF but I don't remember where I "borrowed" it from.....
    Attached Images Attached Images