3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How can I store a variable for the life of a doc? (Word XP)

And here is the visio flow diagram i created.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I store a variable for the life of a doc? (Word XP)

I am creating a Functional Requirement Specification Template. The user has asked me to create a macro that will assign a tag (a unique number incremented each time by 1) to the end of each requirement (for traceability purposes). Requirements are represented by Heading levels 5-9. And, it may be assumed that any text having received a style Headings 5-9 is a requirement.

I have sketched out a process flow and etched details where applicable. Some of them are my own assumptions as to where the a process should be placed, or take place, and therefore available to question. (example: where the ID number gets incremented)

IMPORTANT: When the document is closed, I need to store the last used ID number, so that when reopened and the macro run, I start incrementing ID numbers where I left off last time. (I'm thinking that I can store it in the Doc Open?)

Attached, please find the process flow that I've written out.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use document variables for this. There is a discussion going on about this in the Word forum at the moment. See <post#=259183>post 259183</post#> and the ones before and after that in the same thread. This particular post has a template attached that demonstrates the use of document variables.

Thanks

This old thread from 2001 might help: numbering invoices (Word 2000). Here's another approach: VBA (Word 2000).