New Lounger
    Thanks

Calendar not working in Outlook (Outlook 97)

Hi, I am having this problem with Calendar in Outlook 97. We are running Windows 98 with Office 97.
    A message appeared stating a pst file was corrupted in Outlook, I used scanpst to repair this file and it indicated it did. Now when I open Outlook and select calendar it opens "Lost and Found" and the actual file selected is "Recovered File" with a bunch of numbers. It appears we cannot access Calendar at all, there is no mention of it.
    We re-installed Office 97 which did not work. We then deleted Office 97 and did a complete re-install and this did not work. We re-installed Windows 98 and this did not work. I copied outlook from a machine that is working and tried to run outlook from a floppy. It opens and works fine except Calendar does not work. We get the same results as I have described earlier.
    Any help will be really appreciated as this is a business office and we use outlook to keep track of all appointments and meetings.
    Thanks ...... Norm

Thanks

Re: Calendar not working in Outlook (Outlook 97)

Try renaming your PST file (e.g., outlook-1.pst). When you re-open Outlook, it will complain a bit and you can create a new one. Then add the old one back using File>Open>Personal folders or Tools>Services>Add>Personal Folders. This should give you a blank calendar in the new PST to start on, and an old calendar which obviously has problems. Can you access the old calendar by using a different view? What kind of backups do you have?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calendar not working in Outlook (Outlook 97)

Also, when a .pst goes corrupt, usually it has maxed out in size... with the version that you are on Outlook 97 (if I remember correctly - that was a long time ago), the max size for a .pst file is 200,000 KB or 200 MG (in newer versions it has increased to 2 GB). If you exceed this size and use the scanpst, it will truncate items (I'm unsure of whether it is by date, etc.). The Lost and Found feature is part of the Scanpst process (in MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;171371 ): In your Folder List, the following recovered folders should be displayed: Recovered personal folders,
    Calendar, Contacts, Deleted Items, Inbox, Journal, Notes, Outbox, Sent Items, Tasks. These folders are usually empty because the folders are part of a rebuilt .pst file. A Lost and Found folder should also be displayed. This folder contains the folders and items that the Inbox Repair Tool recovered. Any items that are absent are beyond repair.

If the case was that your .pst was oversize, try to Archive future psts into subject matters, i.e., I archive every year into its own .pst to ensure I do not surpass the oversize limit. If you set the archive on the top folder, i.e., Personal Folder (Trish), and click on File, Archive... select the date you wish to archive up to and type in a filename/path (i.e., 2002 Archive.pst), it will archive all folders (exception - Contacts). Performing this yearly should help you get organized with more current info in the top level PST and old information in the archived ones. P.S. I usually rename the .pst in the Folder List to include a Z at the beginning so they appear in alpha order at the bottom of my folder list. To do so, right-click on the Archive folder, click on Properties, then the Advanced... button and change name of .pst here. Good luck... trish