3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding Files in a Word Doc (Word XP)

I have tried several times to embed 2 files in a Word document. The first is a txt file which embeds fine. The second is an XLS file and this is where I am having the problem. The goal is to embed these 2 files in the document so that only 1 file has to be kept track of. These 2 files compromise an example of a report that my document explains. Every time I try to embed the XLS file two things happen that I can't overcome. The fist which is not a big deal is that as soon as I embed the file Excel loads automagically. The embedding of the txt file does not automagically load any program and notepad is set as the default program for txt files. Well I can get past this without much trouble. The second problem that is the big issue is that the embedded file has to be flagged to display as an icon else the entire worksheet displays in the document. When I choose the display as an icon it does just that however the caption for the icon is not just the name of the file but the full path to that file on my system. The txt file displays just the file name. Why can't I get the XLS file to behave like the txt file?

Ed

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding Files in a Word Doc (Word XP)

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that the difference is that Word knows how to handle text itself, so it doesn't need Notepad or another program to display the text file, but Word is not a spreadsheet program, so it must start Excel to display the spreadsheet.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ed... I'm assuming that you are copying the area of the XL worksheet and then pasting it into Word, using Paste, Special? First of all with Paste Special, the default format is HTML Format - which makes your XL an HTML Table. If you choose Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object, it will invoke Excel to 'open' when you double-click on the object (you are in a subset of Excel). To enable the the Display as Icon options, you would have performed a 'Paste Link'. Do you actually want to perform a Paste Link - wherein the data in the Excel spreadsheet is changed - the embedded object in Word will also change? Either way, if you choose to Link or not to Link, all the 'worksheets' in your Excel workbook will appear once you invoke the object. When this happens without linking the sheet, it is referred to as 'Metadata' and the extra information (worksheets) should be deleted from the embedded object (will not affect the original Excel document) - simply right-click on extra worksheets and Delete or select unwanted information from the current worksheet and Delete. With regard to the filename/path showing for your document, when you perform the PasteSpecial, Paste Link, Display as Icon, there is an option directly underneath the pictured icon which gives you the ability to change the icon and name which is displayed, Change Icon... button. Caption is the area which redefines the name of the Icon. Hope this helped a bit... feel free to reply with your comments... good luck... trish

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ed:
    I don't have Word 2002. For what it's worth, I don't get the same behavior in Word 2000. First of all, Excel doesn't start unless I actually click on the icon; it doesn't start unless I double click the icon.

Trish has mentioned that you can change the caption using the "Change Icon" button under Insert/Object/Create from File when you select "Display as icon". My default is to just put in the filename, not the complete path. I don't know your OS, but there should be an option to display the full path or just the filename in Windows Explorer. Maybe this affects whether a full path is displayed by default. On my system, Win98, it made no difference.

Perhaps if you could specify exactly what you're doing to embed the files, it would become clearer.
    Cheers,