New Lounger
    Thanks

Making a new tab in File new dialog

Hi Everyone,

When you select file new and the dialog box comes up showing all of the templates, how do you make your own tab.

I know it has to do with making a folder in the template folder and having the first character of the folder name be a special character.

Actually Woody (and company) answered this for me several years ago but I forgot how to do it.

Thanks,

Tom

BAM

Re: Making a new tab in File new dialog

Hi Tom,

You really don't have to do anything special except place a subfolder in your Templates folder.

However if you are using Word 2000, a template needs to be placed in the folder for the tab to display in File/New.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

That is what I had done but I just realized I was using the wrong templates folder. I was using the one in the Microsoft Office folder and you need to have it in C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks

Word 2000 puts its templates in different places depending on both the operating system and the use of user profiles.

If you have a user profile active (have to log in). It may be putting the ones you use under your user profile.

See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm>Template Basics</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), global templates and Normal.dot.

You may also want to look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template]</A>, an excellent tutorial on the way to create a template that will not corrupt easily and that has a numbering structure tied to styles.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin