3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to replace WD2K spellcheck dictionary (Word 2000)

i have a user whose spellcheck isn't picking up obviously misspelled words. it is picking up some misspelled words, but not all of them and some of them are very obvious misspelled words. is there a way to replace the spellcheck dictionary, perhaps with one from another system? any help would be great. thx.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to replace WD2K spellcheck dictionary (Word 2000)

You can go into Tools > Options, Spelling & Grammar tab and click on the Dictionaries... button. This will bring up a dialog that will allow you to add, edit, and delete custom dictionaries.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had this happen to a user just the other day... and they were playing with the Dictionary and somehow defaulted the wrong items. Go to Tools, Language, Set Language... ensure that the proper language is set, i.e., English (U.S.). ALSO, ensure that the option Do not check Spelling or Grammar IS UNCHECKED. If it is checked, simply unchecking and clicking OK does not affect anything. You need to uncheck, click on the Default... button and then click OK. Hope this helps... trish

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A couple of thoughts to add to the previous suggestions. There can be several causes. The two most likely are that some of the misspelled words were accidentally added to a custom dictionary or that "Do not check spelling or grammer" was applied to some of the text.

Gary's suggestion is the way to check the first cause. Take a look at any custom dictionaries that are loaded under Tools/Options/Spelling tab/Dictionaries & edit them.

Trish's suggestion is the way to look for the "no proofing" problem. In that situation, select all the text (Ctrl+A) & THEN go into Tools/Language/Set Language & make sure that "Do not check spelling or grammer" is unchecked. Unchecking it while the text is selected will remove any "no proofing" attribute.

If neither of these work, there are some other Language settings that can affect Word. See the thread at <post#=211146>post 211146</post#>. And, as a last resort, try the steps at <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Cheers,