Lounger
    Thanks

Navigation aid? (2002)

(Edited by HansV to activate URL - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

A friend asked for help creating a database for a large personal library (3000 volumes - 2100 authors). He has now purchased Access but initially he wanted a less expensive solution so I looked at MyDataBase (http://www.elibrium.com/mysoftware/DBPro.htm) which as a "navigation aid" for looking at data that I would like to implement in some way using Access.

The MyDataBase window is divided into two sections, the right portion shows all the fields for a single row in the data table, the left vertical portion of the window contains the navigation aid. It consists of the letters A through Z in a vertical column, a list of about 20 or so of the sorted items, and a vertical slider. At the top of the navigation aid window is an icon that opens a window that defines the query. Suppose one wanted to look at the list organized by author - clicking on a letter of the alphabet jumps the list to the top of the sorted list of authors beginning with that letter - using the slider moves up and down from there not just to authors beginning with the chosen letter. This all works surprisingly well - far better than using just the slider for long lists and I would like to try to implement something similar in Access. Note the web site mentioned able shows the navigation aid if the description above is not clear.

I used a modification of the Access book collection template TG_1A6 as a starting point - Author information is kept in a separate linked table which appears to make creating the navigation aid described above a bit more difficult since the book table does not contain an author field - just a link to the author table using author ID .

- Does anyone have any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Navigation aid? (2002)

I'm attaching a zipped Access 2000 database that demonstrates a method of using buttons to navigate to the first matching company name in a recordset. If you look at how it was built, you'll see that the CompanyName field is not in the Orders table, but is included by basing the form on a query rather than on a single table. Without knowing how familiar you are with database development and coding, it's hard to know what to suggest. This example uses DAO code but something very similar could be done using ADO.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And here is a zipped Access 2000 database with buttons and a list like in MyDatabase. When you click a letter, the list doesn't put the first item beginning with that letter at the top, but it does scroll the list to make it visible.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans - This is exactly what I want to implement - I am a novice with Access so it may take me a while to figure out how to use what you have suggested, but I will give it a try.

Bob

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Charlotte! Your example is good but the suggestion by Hans is what I want to try to implement. It may take me a bit since I am a novice with Access but I will give it a try.

Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You may also like to check out the "Customer Phone List" form in the "Northwind" sample database supplied by Microsoft...