Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yahoo message boards (IE 6.0)

I spend considerable time visiting the Yahoo message boards for my stock picks. I used to be able to view the messages, close out the last one, and upon revisiting the message boards, it would open to my latest message. Now, when I open the message boards again, it will only open to my latest message if, on my last session, I go to favorites/add to favorites/answer yes to overwriting the existing favorite/etc. That is very cumbersome when I visit multiple message boards each day for multiple stocks. Is there some setting in IE that needs to be changed, or did Yahoo change something that is beyond my control.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Yahoo message boards (IE 6.0)

Yahoo has been making some behind the scenes changes, I know - but whether that affected the links or not, I can't say. It's possible that it's now a dynamic URL instead of a static one, and is constructed uniquely on each visit.

Could you post a sample so that we can look and compare?
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the URL for the latest posting to the Yahoo message board for Alcoa: http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&actio...78895&mid=25359

Hope that helps!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I plugged that URL in and got the index page for Yahoo groups. Is that the same thing you experience, or is it something different? I noted in the URL that the second to last component includes what appears to be a session ID: &sid=7078895 - so it may be that the sessions expire, as I suspect. It would also be worth your while to send an email to Yahoo and see what they say - provided, of course, that you get a response.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I take that back - the URL that I pasted was missing ampersands. Once I entered those I went straight to the message board. I get a post listing, but if I change the character after &action from the letter L to M, I get the individual message. So it would seem, then, that Yahoo hasn't change anything - but the favorites you are creating may be saving incorrectly.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just copied and pasted the URL, so I don't know why you were missing anything. So where does this leave us? What do you suggest?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Mailwasher was the culprit - it hacks URLs if you're not careful. Once I copied and pasted it from your post online, I had no problems.

Try viewing the properties for the favorite, and examine it carefully against what you posted. Do they match? When you click on the favorite, what appears in the Internet Explorer address bar?
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again, here is the copy and past URL: http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&actio...78895&mid=25359

I'm not clear as to what you want me to do.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I right-clicked and chose properties for that favorite. Here is the copy and pasted version of the URL:

http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&actio...78895&mid=25359

Thanks

I would think the information about the last post you viewed would have to be stored in a cookie. If you sort your cookies folder by date, can you figure out which cookie Yahoo uses for the BBS? Possibly it's corrupted and could be rebuilt successfully by deleting it and logging in again. Just a guess.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried deleting the cookies from internet options to no avail.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you paste that in the address bar, does it get you to where you should be? I'm not having any difficulty with it.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not following you. I simply cut and pasted the URL from the webpage. Now you want me to do what?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You stated you were using favorites/bookmarks to provide easy access to the messages. When you click on the favorite, what happens? I wanted you to look at the way the favorite is saved, and compare it to what appears in the address bar. I may be completely misunderstanding what the problem is, though.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again, here is the cut and paste URL from one stock message board I track: http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&actio...78895&mid=25359

If I click through to the last message and then close out that favorite, when I reopen it, it will not open to the last viewed message. This was not previously the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast