Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Showbar.exe Crash (Win XPP SP1 IE6SP1)

I've been getting a crash and freeze lately on my computer that forces me to
    kill all my IE6SP1/Win XP SP1 windows open and freezes a collage of several
    windows on the screen. I get a German error message box on the screen I'll screenshot because it's the only one I've ever gotten in German--my German illiteracy isn't furthering matters either.

Event Viewer has:

Faulting application showbar.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
    showbar.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00044939.
    Faulting application views.exe, version 4.20.201.0, faulting module
    fcsrv4b.dll, version 4.20.201.0, fault address 0x00083cd3.
    Faulting application views.exe, version 4.20.201.0, faulting module
    fcsrv4b.dll, version 4.20.201.0, fault address 0x00083cd3.

I can get out of some crashes by using Task Mgr.>Applications Tab>New task and typing in typing in "explorer.exe," but not with this one. Is it Spyware?--I ran AdAware amd Spybot, but possibly I didn't configure Spybot well enough to target it if it's part of another component I didn't associate with it. Why the German language error message? See Attachment. Google brings up only one single entry for Bugtoaster that is a series of numbers that has the words "exception fault" in it. MSKB is silent on it. I searched for it--I had to show all hidden Window files to find it, found it associated with Pre-fetch and kicked it off with no apparent ill effects. Too early to know if I did anything helpful.
    BugToaster

Thanks,

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Showbar.exe Crash (Win XPP SP1 IE6SP1)

Hi SMBP,

The German error message doesn't say much more than "Access violation at address 00444939 in module ShowBar.exe. Reading from address 00000000."

I don't think it's spyware - SpyBot's website has no mention of it. I found one mention of ShowBar.exe in a newsgroup on StarDock Corporation's Object Desktop. Do you happen to have installed that, or other software from StarDock?

Unfortunately, searching Google for showbar without the .exe extension results in hits that have nothing to do with software.

Banned Member
    Thanks

See if you have any Processes running { Ctrl,Alt,Delete} called Showbar.exe and turn them off and see what happens.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Both good ideas--I haven't checked msconfig lately and always should. No mention of it on msconfig either checked or unchecked but I'm going to try to see if it'll show up there. I do have Object Desktop loaded, but not running in the foreground--really like their skins but I'm using TGTSoft Style XP right now. I remember seeing a mention of that with Stardock or in an error message a couple weeks ago--I'm pretty sure you have it nailed Hans.

Now it'll be for me to scour some Stardocks Newsgroups to see what I can learn--it'll be interesting to see if getting rid of that file with a long string of numbers helps and showbar in the title helps. Maybe the file was needed for Object Desktop. I'll go into my Stardocks folder. What else is always interesting is that thousands of people run Stardocks components and I have before with no trouble, so maybe Stardocks doesn't like something in my mix.

Thanks for the help and the good eye to pick it up on a newsgroup,

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks

I could have swore Showbar comes with Spyware. Here it is Showbar/Spybots List

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You're right--.I must have thought I saw a Stardock link-- and as Hans said it may have been mentioned in one of their newsgroups as well.

I'm going to run S/S&D and make sure I go after it. I'm also going to try to track it down in the registry, but I'll bet some BHO's manage to insert themselves as a number of subkeys and that may not be easy. I may have been able to kick it with that one folder, but from what I have read searching down other BHO's for past threads in the lounge, I may not have gotten off that easily. It has crashed IE a lot of different ways I guess in retrospect so maybe I should have seen it as an IE problem. One of the things that I thought it did was to start crashing me when I cleaned temp. int. files and hit the "ok" button--but there is also a KB on that behavior calling it a known glitch that MS hasn't found the fix for--since it hadn't happened prior it was probably due to the BHO--it hasn't happened since I blew the showbar file off by searching it down. I wonder what the prefetch connection was--because prefetch was in the file's name--wonder what brought it to me.

Thanks much for the info,

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks

Did you clean out your PreFetch Folder? If not you might go ahead and do that.