2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending form information to a table (2000)

I have a form that opens after the user selects a customer from a table. The form is blank except for the Customer ID, First Name and Last Name. The rest of the form is filled out by the user by selecting information from dropdown boxes. The dropdown boxes are populated by information in other tables. Once filled out, I want all the information to be entered into a table an intermediate table that holds the information from this form. How do I send the information to this new table once it is entered on the form? Also does the field types of the new table need to be the same as the field types of the table the information comes from? And third in trying to do this myself, I was getting the error message: "Too Few Parameters. Expected 1"?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sending form information to a table (2000)

Do you have a specific reason for using an unbound form? If you bind the form to the table you want to get data into, Access will take care of it automatically.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see I must have left out too much information. If you will, let me start over. The form is bounded to a table that has all the personal information on students attending a conference. When the come to the conference they come to a registration table in which the program user selects the student on a form and then brings up a Room assignment form. That is the form I referred to in my original question. Much of the form is filled out already from the tblAttendees and the rest of the form is filled out by information from a tblDorm table. Once the information is selected, I'm trying to send the information from this form to a third intermediate table call tblRoomAttendee. I hope that helps

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should be possible to do this using a bound form. Either create a query that combines information from the tables and use that as record source of the form, or if that is not updateable, use a main form with a subform bound to tblRoomAttendee.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You mean instead of placing the information into the table, it would be put in a subform? If that is the case, would I still be able to use the information as stored in the subform for use in queries?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand. If you bind the subform to a table or query, the data entered or modified in the subform, will be stored in the underlying table(s) automatically.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Basically what I'm trying to do is this. I have a table called tblAttendees. Another table called tblDorm. When the user selects an attendee to assign them a room, they then click on a button to assign a dorm room. A new form pops up with the attendees name and other information from the tblAttendees table. They then select a particular room for the attendee after select different categories from a series of cascading combo boxes that filter a subform that is bound to the tblDorm. Currently, after picking the room, the dorm and dorm room information is enter into fields in the tblAttendees table. Which I do want to happen, but there is no way that I know of to eliminate that particular room from the list of available rooms the next time the user is picking a room from someone else. I thought that if the AttendeeID, RoomID and other information from the form was entered into an intermediate table called tblRoomAttendees, then I could use a query to popular the room subform instead of tblDorm, then I could display only rooms that have not yet been assigned in the subform. Does that make it clearer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You asked a very similar question about cars in the thread at <post#=257705>post 257705</post#>. I posted a simple database in <post#=257933>post 257933</post#> that demonstrates how to display only available cars. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt this for rooms.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. To be honset I really didn't understand how to make it work with this applications, but after all I have tried today, and after you reminded me about the previous posting, I got it to work. It is in a round about way, but it work. Thanks a lot. I've learned a lot form you.