2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win95OSR2-making it appear to be Win98SE

My Win95OSR2 supports USB, the motherboard supports USB. Will I have to, and have any chance in getting away with, altering something to make Win95OSR2 appear to be something else to get peripherals to work. I have just got an External CD-RW from Iomega, bundled with a USB card. Sure, it will, I am sure, run on my Compaq laptop, running XP Home, but I'd like to put the freebie card onto my older desktop and get the card and CD-RW to run on that too.

This comes up more and more these days as new peripherals seem, more and more, to require Win98SE or later as an OS.

I recall having to fool a driver on my XP machine that the OS was Win2000 to get it installed, then correcting the fooling around, then all was fine (Packard-Bell BearClaw scanner, in that case)

Will

(No search facility, if this is a well covered topic on this board)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win95OSR2-making it appear to be Win98SE

You may have some issues with this. USB support in Windows 95 was developed just as USB was an emerging technology and has some limitations - in other words, it's a kludge and doesn't work quite as well as 98 and later operating systems. The architectural changes that would have been necessary weren't followed through by Microsoft, since they had a newer platform.

USB upgrade cards are not supported by Win95 any version. As a result, you don't have this option, so it looks kind grim from this perspective. Best I can say....USB support in Win95 is poor at best, and I don't think you're going to have any luck.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

I'm with Mark on this one. Even If you could manage to get it to work somehow, I think you would have lots of problems with it. Why not just upgrade to Win98 Second Edition. It will make life easier in the long run. As you said, Hardware is being made around Win98 and up. And more towards Win2000 and XP then anything else, but a fair amount still works well with Win98.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys, upgrade seems to be the way to go, I guess!