2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Keyboard Driver (WinXP Pro/SP1)

Clone keyboard is not functioning. Neither system or keyboard properties indicate driver is installed. Tried installing msintelliKB driver (couldn't find anything else) and after awhile the keyboard functioned for a day and then stopped again. Is there a set of PS2 keyboard drivers (standard PS2) around or someone to re-install these drivers so they stay around....Thanks for the help....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Keyboard Driver (WinXP Pro/SP1)

What do you mean by "Clone" keyboard? Unless you have "brand name" drivers for some special keyboard, it shouldn't be necessary for you to load anything. And if you DO have drivers from a keyboard manufacturer (i.e. Microsoft, Logitech, etc.) I would certainly check THEIR web site for updated drivers. I have a cordless, natural, internet keyboard from Logitech and choose NOT to load the Logitech software. Windows still recognizes a "PS/2" keyboard and even the internet control buttons work somewhat. (See attachment) I would open Device Manager, delete the keyboard entry and reboot the machine to let Windows re-initialize the keyboard and see what happens..... Certainly can't make things worse.....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is that Device Manager does not recognize a keyboard being installed. I tried a second keyboard and same problem. I'm not sure whether this is a hardware or software problem. Also, in Control//Keyboard/Hardware it is blank...seemingly indicate the keyboard is not being recognized. However, after running the MSIntelliKB drivers the keyboard started working with keyboard entries Than--for a day and stopped again. BTW, by clone keyboard I meant some unspecified far each cheapo...The keyboard stopped stopped working after some kid played some old games on the computer and the video (Voodo) went bad (washed out colors) and I restored the registry (WinRescue)--fixed the video but not but not the keyboard problem. Thanks for the prompt response and let me know if you have other ideas...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jeez, I'm at a loss now. What about as your PC is starting to boot, as the BIOS is loading? Do you see messages similar to the ones I see on my machine that say something like the mouse and keyboard are recognized? If that were the case, then at least we KNOW we have a Windows problem, not a physically bad keyboard. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea, if you can, to TRY another keyboard to see what happens. I'm outta here for a few hours, but I'll be thinking of this one. Meantime, mebbe someone else will have an idea. By the way, take a look at the thread on a "Safe Mode" booting problem to see if the registry fix proposed by VIKING might help in your case also. That poster is having a mouse problem, but <!post=this post from Viking,259563>this post from Viking<!/post> leads to a URL with a registry fix for BOTH keyboard and mouse.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again. I'll give the Viking regedit solution a try...but can't figure out how to create the .REG file (I assume this is done with RegEdit)...also can I just include the two lines for the keyboard in the .REG file for modifying the Registry (little is better when fooling with the registry in my view!). Lastly, I assume the new registry entries are added as is, parentheses and all. Thanks.....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Aw shoot. I got stuck loading the dishwasher, so I'm really NOT outta here yet. The site you went to told what to do, but you probably didn't notice it. Copy (into the clipboard) the lines starting with the one that has the registry editor version 5 on it. You should include all they show there. Open a text editor, like Notepad, and paste the lines in. NOW, if you want, you could delete the lines relating to the mouse if you want. I would recommend against that. SAVE the file with a name you make up, such as KB_FIXUP.REG. It's the .REG that's important - don't let Notepad make it .TXT. Now, close Notepad and find the file you just saved with Windows Explorer and DOUBLE CLICK on it. You will get one of those "Are you sure" prompts telling you that it's going to modify the registry. Scary, huh? Give it the go ahead. Not sure if it is necessary, but I would re-boot afterward.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, the Viking registry fix did do the job (at least the mouse is still working)....If you come up with any other ideas let me know, but, in any case, it gave you an excuse for not working on the dishwasher!! Thanks again.......

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My local repairman fixed the keyboard problem, i.e., five minutes to find the problem; 10 minutes to fix it and $3...there was a broken piece of plastic in the port that needed to be removed!!! Thanks for y;our responses....