3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joining chapters (Office XP SR2)

I am sure that this question has been answered, or well known to Word users, but while the search facility is unavailable, I would appreciate guidance. I have created a set of lecture notes, in separate chapters, with a header showing the chapter title, and numbered pages.
    How can I now join the chapters into one document, retaining individual chapter headers and page numbering? I tried creating section breaks, then copy/paste to add successive chapters. Of course the header all through is that of the first chapter, and the page numbering is continuous from page one of the first chapter. It goes without saying that I am new to this activity!
    Many thanks for coming to my assistance!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Joining chapters (Office XP SR2)

Dianne

To get different headers and footers and restarted page numbers after merging all the chapters - insert Section Breaks at the start of each chapter.

The headers/footers for each section can be edited although you will need to make sure that the 'Same As Previous' is not turned on for the header or footer that you want to vary. You may also be able to use a StyleRef field and continue to use 'Same as Previous' setting on the header and footers.

Page numbers can be set to restart at each section break if you require that too.

Have a look at the online help and find out about Section Breaks and Page Numbering options.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The easiest way to do this is to make use of Word's master document feature.

Although Master Documents are unreliable and prone to corrupt your document, this is one case where you can use them because you only have the master document for a few minutes.

1. <LI>Create a new blank document
      <LI>View Outline
      <LI>If necessary click the toolbar button to switch to master document view
      <LI>Click the toolbar button to add a subdocument
      <LI>Select Chapter one and click OK
      <LI>Repeat the previous two steps for every sub document
      <LI>Select the whole document
      <LI>Click the "Remove Sub-documents" button
    The final "Remove Sub-documents" converts the master document back to a standard word document, but you will now have all the correct section breaks in place.
    You still need to visit each section to set the page numbering to restart at 1 if needed.
    StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Andrew. I have much to learn!
    Dianne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for your clear and prompt response.
    Dianne