5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date Format Defaults

I would like to change how Excel 2K handles dates. The default format is m/d/yy, but I prefer my dates to show as mm/dd/yy. Is there a way to change this default date format?

Also, I find it annoying that sometimes I will type in the full date (like when I'm using Excel to put out a quick memo-type document), and Excel does me the "favour" of converting the text that I typed into a numerical date. It then formats it with the default date format, which also sometimes messes up the column width as well. Is there a way to turn this off?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date Format Defaults

For your first problem, as Excel uses the system settings for the default date format, you will need to access the regional settings in your control panel and, and in the Date tab you can select your preferred format. Note that is is the Short date format that XL defaults to.

I can suggest some ways to deal with the second problem. Either precede your entry with ' (single quote mark) or use ordinal entry for the number, e.g instead of 1 March... enter 1st March..
    Or you could enter the date as March 24 2001, and it will be accepted as text. The first method (') is probably the best for you, as the ' symbol does not show up.

Hope that helps,

Andrwe C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Date Format Defaults

One addition to Andrew's excellent advice. If you format the cell as Text BEFORE you enter the date into it, then it will remain as text. However, the easiest and most common way is putting the single quote in front of the date as Andrew suggested.
    Legare Coleman