2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP Home edition - print spooler won't start (WIN XP Home edition - SP1

My brother in-laws PC (eMachine) came with a lexmark printer. He & my sister went to Florida for the winter. When they left last fall, they disconnected the printer and took it with them to use with their pc in Fla. When they returned home, they connected the printer and XP prompted them to load the driver software. Unfortunately, MS has acknowleged that disconnecting certain lexmark printers corrupts something which causes the print spooler service from being started. They allueded to it being fixed in XP SP1, which I installed last night but the problem still persists. Now the real thing that cheeses me off is that the software bundle has no option for reloading XP. When we went to the software bundle to attempt a reload it wanted to format the drive and reinstall everything, just the way it was when it left the factory.

Anyone have any clue as to how to enable the print spooler service or reinstall XP without formatting the HD and reloading everything from scratch?

My wife and I (both computer geeks) tried all of our tricks. We both browsed the install cd's which only show huge 'bin' files, which we assume are binary reload files that contain xp and the rest of the software bundle. Jeez - what a way to waste a Saturday.... Any thoughts or comments would greatly appreciated.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Home edition - print spooler won't start (WIN XP Home edition -

Did you check your Services running?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - it's stopped and when I try to start it it errors with a 1075.

But I went through services on the Admin panel. Is there a sys config utility as the one you show in the prior post - and if so how do I get to is?

Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks

Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG and click OK. The window will popup and choose the Services tab.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Jerry, Can you remove the printer, download the most current driver from Lexmark, then re-install the printer. After the re-install you should be able to re-start the spooler service

Joe
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks

System error 1075 occurs because the dependency Service does not exist or has been marked for deletion. Another words you have a dependency disabled that Print Spooler Needs. Check in Services and make sure you have " Remote Procedure Call ( RPC) enabled, there are two of them. If not start them and then start Print Spooler. When you highlight them you should see to your left the START and STOP option.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok - printer was uninstalled, what appears to be the latest driver was downloaded, but when attempting to install the driver, a message pops up saying the print spooler service needs to be started for the install to continue, and the whole vicious cycle begins again. I HATE Microsoft products - everytime they upgrade something it breaks what used to work.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Jerry did you start the two "Remote Procedure Call" sevices I told you about in my last post? Print Spooler is Dependent on them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - both of the RPC services are started.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Jerry, After the un-install, go to c:windowssystem32spooldriversw32x86. There should be folders with the name approximating the printer name. Try deleting the folder with the printer name. Then try to restart the spooler service. Then do the re-install.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did that too. The w32x86 folder is empty. Still no luck. I even found a page at Lexmark's web site specifically describing this problem and how to remedy it - but nothing works. (I can't believe I cannot simply re-install XP without having to do a re-format of the hard drive.) Time to call it a night. It will now have to wait until Wednesday as tomorrow is my wedding anniversary, and my wife would not be happy if I spent it working (for free) on by brother-inlaws pc. Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Home edition - print spooler won't star

Was a conclusion reached to the problem of Spooler being stopped?

I have this difficulty on a PC notebook running Windows XP Home. Although I had printers installed in the system the printers & faxes folder is now empty. Spooler is stopped & both RPC services are running. I also get error 1075.

Can you help please?