Thread: Dual boot (XP)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dual boot (XP)

A colleague has XP installed on a laptop but wishes to have a dual boot system with Win98. He realises that he must set up two volumes and install win98 first. However, the problem is HOW DO YOU REFORMAT THE HARD DRIVE? Simple instructions would be gratefully appreciated.
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual boot (XP)

I had a great reply to a very similar question. I don't know how to create a link, so you will have to look back manually to the questions on 23 May and see one from me, 'johnvansomeren'. I hope it is relevant because i was adding a second XP partition and you want to add Win 98 to Win XP.

To summarise:
    First I bought Partition Magic and asked it to shrink drive c to about half its size. That took twenty minutes. Then I booted off the Win XP CD-ROM (can you do that for Win 98?) and it displayed the hard disk's partitions. (C: was the original hard disc, now much smaller. D: was the CD ROM and E: was the new, unformatted, partition.) I selected the empty partition and told it to do a fresh install. Win XP's install routine did the hard disk format for me as part of the install.

I edited the normally hidden file BOOT.INI to name the two partitions into something meaningful to me.
    Then I re-installed the specific drivers for the laptop's screen and power-save features.

NOW I had a hard disc with two versions of XP and I could select which one to use from a list that displayed whenever I turned on the laptop. The original version was on drive c: and the new version was on drive e:.

Best of all was that I could see both drives c: and e: after booting, whichever copy of XP I had selected. So, just to give one example, I told Outlook on my new partition to use the .pst file on drive c: and it happily agreed. Similarly, MS Word knows to use the My Documents folder on drive c:, although there is one on drive e: and I don't intend to mess things up by deleting it.

Hope all this helps. Good luck.

Thanks

<center><A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=xp&Number=257453&page=3&vie w=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=">Dual boot (XP Pro with SP1)
    </A></center>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks, John. I'll explore this.
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the pointer, Bruce.