New Lounger
    Thanks

Change from Word 2000 to Word XP (Word 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1))

Our office (of approximately 50 users) is currently using Windows 2000 Pro (with roaming profiles), and Office 2000 Small Business. Next month (July 2003) we will be getting new computers and changing our software to Windows XP Pro and Office XP Small Business. Since I am in charge of software training, I am responsible for making sure that each user's customized features (i.e., supplemental dictionaries, auto text entries, auto correct entries, tool bars and macros) get transferred to their new computer. Is any of this customized information stored in the user profile? Or, is there a particular file where all of this information gets stored? If so, can I save each those files on the network for each user and then assimilate them into the new version of Word XP? Or will I have to re-create everything individually for each user when they receive their new PC? I would also welcome any suggestions regarding books that highlight the differences between Word 2000 and Word XP so that I can hold a training class to cover these features.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change from Word 2000 to Word XP (Word 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1))

Thank you for your prompt reply and your assistance. I'll get busy right now. Hopefully someone else will have a book suggestion. You are all are the best!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Towana... I've included a link to MS KB Article which explains the location of Word's User/Registry Options... this link will take you to the Summary of Word Options (common ones, ie., autotext, autocorrect, macros, etc.) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...en-us;289294#17
    Most of the user's customization (toolbars, autotext, macros, styles) is found in their normal.dot, with the exception of Autocorrect (the above link explains how to move Autocorrect between computers - networks - end of article) and Custom Dictionary is a file under your profile ApplicationMicrosoftProofCustom.dic.
    I usually advise company's to back up the user's entire profile before changing the operating system so that much of the user's customization can be recovered, if required (you do need quite a bit of space to do this!) and then delete after about a month. This type of backup should capture even Windows customization (i.e., Favorites, Desktop Shortcuts, etc.). Copying this information back to the user profile after installation of new OS and Apps will reinforce their previous versions customization.
    As for training material, I have yet to find a good book... hopefully someone else out there will suggest something so that I too can use! Good luck... trish

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WendellB on 02-Jun-03 15:22. Add links to posts.)</P>I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know.
    There are some migration tools that will let you transfer settings from one PC to another, and do a reasonable job - I believe there was some recent discussion in the Office forum on that subject. And those tools deal with more things than just Word - favorites in IE, some preferences in Excel, etc. If I can find the thread I have in mind, I'll update this post. <font color=blue>Update: <post#=249369>post 249369</post#>, <post#=5112>post 5112</post#></font color=blue>

As to changes in Word, a few big ones I can think of right off hand: The first is the way change tracking takes place - if you are all on one version it shouldn't bother you. The second is the way that Mail Merge works - quite different - though you can revert to the old Mail Merge helper. A third is the way styles work in XP - some like it, lots don't. And the fourth would be the task pane that shows up regularly, along with smart tags. One new/old feature is that you can now go back to the Multiple Document interface with just one entry on the Task Bar. You can get some details by typing "What's new" in the Help for Word XP.

As to a book, someone else will have to provide input on that. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Towana:
    See <!post=Transferring Office Settings,5112>Transferring Office Settings<!/post>. I haven't used the Small Business edition, however, so I'm not familiar with it. I would also look at How can I import and export all my AutoCorrect entries, so they can be transferred to another machine?

Hope this helps,