Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Links (Word 2000 SP-3)

I have a document with several dozen links (using "paste link") to an Excel 2000 spreadsheet. During any given quarter the Word links would be updated according to changes in the Excel SS. However in the next quarter a SS with a different name is used (and the first one must be kept) and the Word document is copied to a new document. The problem is, this results in the need to change each of the link references one at a time to the new SS. Is there a way to change the Excel file reference in all of the links at the same time as a "global" change?

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Links (Word 2000 SP-3)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 02-Jun-03 17:34. to add the P.S.)</P>Hi Wayne:
    I'm not an Excel expert, so someone may have a better way. Instead of paste linking the different parts of the Excel spreadsheet, you could use Insert/Fields.../Database. You can specify a starting & ending row for this field. However, I don't know how to just include a range that didn't include all columns (not saying that it can't be done, though).

When you update this field (F9), a dialog box will pop up letting you change which spreadsheet you want to show, providing it's in the same workbook. This would only work if either the row numbers were always the same or if they always changed in a predictable fashion. In the latter case, you could use Find/Replace, with field codes showing, to change the starting & ending rows).

The syntax for your field would be similar to:

{ DATABASE d "CataFolderNameSubfolderFilename.xls" f 1 t 11 h * MERGEFORMAT }

The switches f & t mark the starting & ending rows (here 1 through 11). The h switch inserts the field names from the 1st row of the spreadsheet.

Hope this helps,

P.S. One advantage that the paste link method has over this method, however, is that the paste link will update immediately (well, almost). With this method, you must manually upate the fields or do something, like printing, that updates the fields.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phil's reply set me to thinking again. Paste linking a range or chart from an Excel worksheet into Word creates a field code like this

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "Cocuments and SettingsUserNameMy DocumentsTest.xls" "Sheet1!MyRange" a f 4 h }

In this case, a named range is linked. If you display field codes (Alt+F9), you could replace the file name throughout the document. Please note the double backslashes in the path.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this, Hans. I had forgotten how to link a range. But what is the purpose of the f 4 switch? I can't find that in Word 2000.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The help in Word 2002 for this swtich has the very helpful text...
    Causes the linked object to update its formatting in a particular way determined by the parameter.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And when I paste link something, either the f switch is absent, or it is f 4 (for RTF and HTML format), never f 1 (or something else), so I don't really know what this means.
    Added: Word MVP Cindy Meister remarks somewhere in the MS Newsgroups that f is undocumented.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you to everyone for the assistance. Hans, I think your suggestion will do the trick. That should make it much easier to change the large number of links I have - and to check that I am linking to the correct file in all of them.

Thanks again

Wayne