2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Borders and Shading (2000/SR1 & 97/SR2)

I have a table I created in Word 2000 where several rows have 10% gray shading applied. When I open the document in Word 97 none of the shading is apparent even though 10% gray shading is available in 97. Does anyone know why this is happening?
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Borders and Shading (2000/SR1 & 97/SR2)

I don't have Word 97 to test this on, but Word 2000 table structure is much more complex, even though there are some similar features in Word 97. Have you checked both the Tools/Options/Compatibility to see if you're using Word 97 compatibility when setting the shading? Also, on the Save tab, have you disabled features not supported by Word 97? If so, can you still set the shading the same way?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did set the compatibility to Word 97 and it didn't make a difference. The shading was still gone when I opened the doc in 97. I did test the levels of shading though and just discovered that 10% shading seems to disappear in the 97 document but if I set the shading to 20% gray or higher it shows up in the 97 doc. Hummm, I wonder what's up with that?
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Strange things are going on here.

If I create a table row with 10% gray shading in Word 97 using the button on the Tables and Shading toolbar, the default settings are:
    Fill: none
    Pattern style: 10% gray

If I create a table row with 10% gray shading in Word 2002 using the button on the Tables and Shading toolbar, the default settings are:
    Fill: 10% gray
    Pattern style: transparent
    If I save this doc, then open it in Word 97, the row is transparent and the settings are:
    Pattern style: transparent

If I create a table row in Word 2002 with the settings as applied by the button in Word 97 (I must use the Borders and Shading dialog for this):
    Pattern style: 10% gray
    then the shading will be visible in Word 97 too.

So apparently, the default method of shading applied by the toolbar button has changed between Word 97 and Word 2000.