New Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering (2000 and XP)

When you start numbering in either version, Word automatically indents the numbering by 0.63. I want numbering to start on the left margin but to be automatic. I have changed this on the normal.dot but still does not hold. Does anybody have any ideas on how can I change a numbered list to start without indenting? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cara

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering (2000 and XP)

Define your own numbering style(s) without indentation and use that instead of the Numbering button on the toolbar. If you store the numbering style in Normal.dot, it will be available in all documents.
    If you want your style to be easily available, you can assign it to a custom toolbar button and/or keyboard shortcut.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion. I have done that for my user but she now is unhappy as she can only use the numbering specified in the style. So this works beautifully if she uses 1. but if she wishes to use another numbering then this will not work. Please tell me I am not insane and there is no way I can get rid of automatic indent when a numbering list starts. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a "switch off"option for this. Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Others know far more about this than I do, perhaps they will have better ideas. I do know that numbering in Word is a complicated subject. See Word's numbering explained on the Word MVP site.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, Microsoft did not give the ability to 'default' the list numbering to specific formatting (i.e., indents, hanging indents, etc.). Hans was very correct in advising you to modify your numbering and then create a style based on that paragraph. If the user requires numbering other than 1.2.3., you will have to create another style for A.B.C. If, however, the user is using Outline numbering, this is a whole new ball game and can get fairly complicated. I suggest you read the article which Hans suggested, and if it is outline numbering which is required, this link defines problems you may encounter and how to avoid - http://www.microsystems.com/publications.htm#numbering . Good luck... feel free to respond and I will try to help you out... trish