New Lounger
    Thanks

Global Report Variable (Access 2002)

Hi everyone, I have a procedure on the on format event of the detail section of a report. Within this I am accumulating some totals to be printed at the report footer section. I cannot get this to work. How
    can I get the variables to be printed at the footer level? Any help
    appreciated.....Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Global Report Variable (Access 2002)

You can declare a variable at the top of the report module. It can be used in any procedure/function in the report module, so you could update its value in the On Format event of the detail section, and use its value to populate a text box in the On Format event of the report footer.

You can also use a textbox in the report footer with a control source of the form =Sum(some_expression) where some_expression can be a field name or a calculation.

And you can use a text box in the detail section (hidden if you like) with its RunningSum property set to Over All. It will keep a running sum of the expression in its control source. You can refer to the value of this text box in the report footer; it will display the final value of the running sum because the report footer is formatted after all detail section have been processed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have Dim ProfitBaseSales As Double in the General Declarations. Within the on format of the detail section I am accumulating to this variable. In the report footer I have a text box that has ProfitBaseSales as the control source. Is this not correct?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, you can't refer to a variable directly in the control source of a text box. You can populate the text box in two ways:

1. Define a function

Function GetProfitBaseSales()
    GetProfitBaseSales = ProfitBaseSales
    End Function

and use this function in the Control Source of the text box:

=GetProfitBaseSales()

- OR -

2. Set the value of the text box in the On Format event of the report footer:

Private Sub ReportFooter_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)
    MyTextBox = ProfitBaseSales
    End Sub

where MyTextBox is the name of the text box in the footer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans! It seemed logical to me that I could reference the variable as the control source. Thank you for correcting me.