Silver Lounger
    Thanks

User Accounts (XP Pro)

I've recently installed XP Pro and from what I understand from my children it is possible to have user accounts (with icons) appear on some type of login page. Where they would be able to click on their respective accounts and ...

I think this may be a feature of XP Home and not XP Pro.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Accounts (XP Pro)

I believe you're thinking of the Welcome screen? It displays a small picture (icon) next to the account name, and enables single-click access to those accounts. It should be enabled by default in XP Pro, but if it's not, you can change that in the Control Panel (Start - Settings - Control Panel) under the User Accounts applet.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

User accounts is one of the basic features of all NT-based Wndows: NT, 2000, XP, 2003...

To learn more about user accounts, click Start | Help and found the topic.

There are hundreds, if not thousands webpages with detailed explanations how to create and manage user accounts. Use your favorite search engine.

Another feature of WIndows XP is FAST USER SWITCHING. Search Windows Help or Internet about this issue.

Sorry - I didn't understand your question. As Mark said, Click Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | Change the way users log on or off.
    However, if you installed Novell Client, Welcome screen and Fast User Switching are disabled.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is enabled by default, but won't appear until you either establish multiple user accounts or set a user password.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ahh, good point - I'm the only user on my setup at home, and Administrator is hidden, so I don't see it unless I resume from standby. Thanks for pointing that out!
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And most of these accounts are "Honored Customer", New User" and etc. I have found that if one was to make a new account using the account that they want to use and then go in an delete the ones set up by the OEMs, one would have better control of their system.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

After reading text about the "Welcome Page" I found out that the "Welcome Page" only works if the Users are setup under a workgroup not a domain.

John

Banned Member
    Thanks

So you are going to use a Domain setup? Thats not really needed for Home use unless you just want more control then the Workgroup setup allows. If you only have a couple computers at home, I would use Workgroup. I hope I'm not stepen on any toes. If so I humbly apoligize.