Lounger
    Thanks

public ip address

Sorry if this sound a bit thick. If someone asks me do I have a public ip address - is this the ip of my web page or something totally different? Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: public ip address

I suppose that would partly depend on what they want it for - I would guess in this case they want to know if your local PC has an IP address exposed on the Internet, which it probably does not. If they're just asking if you have any public IP address, the website would count.
    -Mark

Thanks

Re: public ip address

How do you connect to the Internet? Dial-up ISPs usually have you set up using DHCP, which automatically checks with the ISP for an available public IP address. Because this can change every time you connect, you really can't give out a numeric address. If you have a cable or DSL connection, it's more likely that your IP address will remain constant.

Next question: do you use an internal firewall or router? If so, it's very likely that your computers have private IP addresses such as 192.168.0.2 (this is a range reserved specifically for private networks, and cannot be routed across the 'net). While your router or firewall might have a public address, your computers do not. There are ways to "pass through" the traffic if you want to, but... it's very dependent on your set-up.

Finally, unless this is a person you REALLY trust, don't give them any numeric address.