Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 corrupt (Office 2000 SR1)

I've been having a problem with Outlook 2000 for some months now, but getting ready to order a new computer so have lived with it. What it was doing is that if for some reason I had to reboot and couldn't get out of Windows the correct way, and Outlook was up, Outlook would take about an hour to come up the next time I tried to open it. The splash screen would come up and then hang for that period of time, eventually coming up when it felt like it.

Today, I rebooted my computer just to refresh everything and Outlook was already closed. When my computer rebooted and I tried to open Outlook, it froze as soon as the splash screen came up. And for the first time when this has happened, it froze everything else. Usually in an hour or so it comes up by itself and while I am waiting I can use my other programs. Now I can't. Obviously there is a major problem.

What I think I need to do now is to uninstall Outlook and then re-install. But I am not sure how to uninstall it since it's not on the list of installed programs in the uninstall/install folder in the Control Panel. I'm not sure if I install over the old install if that is going to solve my problem. And yes, I have saved both the Outlook.pst and Archive.pst files somewhere else for safe keeping.

Can someone give me some advice on the best way to handle this problem?

Thanks,

Marilyn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 corrupt (Office 2000 SR1)

I'd probably try, in this order:

Back up (make a copy of) all PST's and PAB's.

With Outlook closed:

Run "scanpst.exe", better known as, but misleadingly, the Inbox Repair Tool, against all PST's.

Resart Outlook. If the problem still occurs, close it and at the Start | Run prompt, run:
    "c:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOUTLOOK.EXE" /cleanviews /resetfolders

If that doesn't help, I'd probably reinstall over the old installation. If you wish, try Step 5 in <!mskb=266668>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 266668<!/mskb> to attempt to get Add/Remove to display Outlook.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Well, I got impatient and decided to uninstall Outlook and then re-install. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that when I tried to do a CTRL ALT DEL to close Outlook when it was stuck in splash screen, I got a message saying that my resources were dangerously low. But I had just rebooted and they couldn't be. I had opened nothing else. Now that I have uninstalled and re-installed. Same problem and same message. My computer is starting up at 63% resources, by the way. Also, I am running Windows 98 se. I plan to have WinXP installed on my new computer. I can't wait.

Not sure what to do now but keep using my laptop which is quite nice and runs Win2000. I'm afraid if I do much more to try to get Outlook going on my desktop, I might just have a major crash. And I don't want to do that since my tape back up is on the blink too. Guess it's time to order that new computer.

One more thing. I saved a copy of my .pst files to a temp folder, but now when I go back to see the origs in Explorer, the icon next to the file looks like they do when there is nothing associated with the file. Before it had a colorful Windows icon in front of it. The file size is the same, but I am worried that these files won't transfer over to the new Outlook once installed on the new computer. Any ideas on this?

If you have any ideas as to why just trying to open Outlook is draining my resources that quickly, I would be very interested in your theory.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

At the Start, Run prompt run "fixmapi" and see if it helps the resource problem. If not, see also <!mskb=290634>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 290634<!/mskb>. There was also a resource problem caused by an Outlook XP Service Pack, but I don't think that applied to OL 2000. Anyone else recall that?

If you changed the file extension of your PST, that might change the icon, but it should be OK when you rename it back to PST.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

How big are your PST files and how much memory do you have? It may be a bit more than Windows and Outlook can handle.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is also possible that you might have a memory problem. If there is a fault in an upper memory block, then Windows may happily ignore this until you do something that needs a lot of memory, like open Outlook with large .pst files. Try running Memtest to check for this, if other solutions have failed.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jscher,

Archive file is 129,552kb and Outlook pst file is 80,537. Memory is 256.

Marilyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Actually I know better than to change the file extention. But I checked to make sure that something didn't happen. File extention is as it should be. What I did do is copy the .pst files to a temporary folder and also to a zip disk. But that shouldn't have caused a disassociation, should it have?

Marilyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sparky,

What I have found is that when I check my systems resources there is a note there that states: Drive V is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system. When I click on the details, it states: "This problem often occurs on more than one drive. Usually it is caused by a driver listed in the Config.sys file that Windows does not recognize and tht is related to the message 'Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance'. If you see both messages, see the Help for the Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance' message first.

If you only see the message 'Drive X is using an MS-DOS compatibilityh mode filesystem on one drive, that drive is using an MS-DOS compatibility (real mode) driver, which may reduce that drive's performance. Contact your hardware manufacturer to see if an updated driver is available for your drive. If not, the driver's performance maybe e less than optimal, but you can still use it. "

I will try what you suggested in a bit since I have to get off my laptop to get online with my desktop computer. I'll let you know what the memory test shows.

Unfortunately the tech who builds all my computers is out of town until Monday. I have a feeling he will know what is going on once he returns.

Thanks,

Marilyn