Lounger
    Thanks

How to roll back a patch using recover console? (XP SP1)

I installed a patch which killed my PC -- BSOD during bootup. The only way to recover seems to be to use the XP recovery console, which I can access after booting my Windows XP disk on CD-ROM. However, I find that the help is next to useless. It just tells me what the commands are, not how to actually recover in my situation. The help in Windows XP and the MS Knowledge Base are likewise unhelpful.

So, how do I undo the damage that this update did, using the recovery console? Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to roll back a patch using recover console? (XP SP1)

Have you tried to boot using Safe Mode yet?
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Have you tried Hitting F8 key while rebooting to get to Startup Screen and choose " Last Known Good Configuration"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Easson--

You always want to go for System Restore in Safe Mode or Last Known Good before you resort to the Recovery Console. I'm guessing you can't make them work--that's why you're looking at the MRC. Theoretically system restore does or is supposed to set a restore point before a hotfix/patch is installed if it has enough space to do it--possibly even if the minimum of 200MB is available.

It would help further to know if you were able to get into Safe Mode or Last Known Good--which you should almost always try before going to the Recovery Console. It can be very useful, but I would think of it one of the last resorts. If you're in Safe Mode and can't run System Restore successfully, then try it from the run box in Safe Mode. If you can't get use these two, you could try using boot discs, if you have made them, to get to the dos prompt where you can run System restore by from the command prompt 304449 by putting "%system root%system32restorerestrui.exe" without quotes. You can run this command either from the run box or the command prompt--or for that matter 3 command lines to put up system restore. But one command line you can't run it from to my knowledge is the Recovery Console.

KB's that you might find useful, because a few of the key commands may get you out of this are:
    307654 and 314058. Commands that you might find helpful described in these KB's are: CHKDSK/r the most comprehensive chkdsk command, FIXBOOT, and FIXMBR, FIXMBR is a real last resort because it has the potential to damage partitions, and I would try to do a 31534 repair install/inplace upgrade of XP before I'd try it. Also refer to Recovery Console in Windows XP.

You might find these references helpful:

Repair XP
    and Repairing Windows XP
    315341:How To Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP.

SMBP