3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE6 doesn't open *.eml anymore (OE 6)

Recently I moved to OL 2000, but kept OE6 going in order to read older emails stored separately as *.eml files. Until recently clicking on such a file, started OE and opened the file in OE with the attachment if present. Now when I click on the file only OE gets started, but the file doesn't get opened. Does anybody know how to repair this, please.
    Note: I made OE already my email program in IE settings, but this doesn't help.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: OE6 doesn't open *.eml anymore (OE 6)

I think this will do what you want.

1. Drag and drop an email message from Outlook Express or Outlook out onto your desktop.
    2. Hold down the shift key and right-click on it.
    3. Select "Open With".
    4. In the new window , make sure that the box is checked "Always open files of this type using...".
    5. Scroll down to an entry (options below)

(a) "MSIMN" which should show the same icon you click on the start menu for outlook express if this is what you use
    OR
    ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Outlook if you use that to read your mail

6. Click , OK.

All .eml files will now open with that program from now on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. I did not know that one could open *.eml files with OL also. However, I tried your tip already with OE (should have mentioned it). Both with OL and OE the programs starts but the file does not open.
    So my problem still exists. My work around was to copy it to a friend's computer and had him opened it on his computer (it worked) and forward it back to me. But that is not the solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually I found the solution and another problem.
    First the solution. In Win2k Explorer on local disk (not desktop): tools|folder options|File Types. There you can link .eml to OE. When "advanced" becomes available, add "open" to actions, and then edit open to read <"C:Program FilesOutlook Expressmsimn.exe" /eml:%1>.

Now the problem.
    Don't link .eml files to Outlook, as the following happened with me (Win2k-sp3 and Office2k-sp3):
    Rightclicking on the .eml file gave the option to open it with OL. However when I did that OL generated the error message: "error in shortcuts .fav file" and then started rebuilding the .fav file, and opened, but did't load the eml.
    On my laptop there was only one .fav file of 24660 bytes. But due to this trying to open it, the .eml file itself was changed and it's size became 24660 bytes too, irrespective its original size. Apparently when rebuilding its .fav file, OL took the .eml file to store the rebuilt info into.
    Anyway, I still had the original .eml file and with the trick bescribed above I could open it again in OE, and then import it into OL.
    I sincerely doubt therefore if OL can really open .eml files directly.