Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

media player sound distortion (xp home)

Hope this is the correct place for this....I have updated to Media player 9 but now when I play music from stored files in My Music folder ..playback is distorted, this is same if i play pre recorded cd's in Media player. Have tried playing back the same files from My Music folder using Roxio cd creator programme and all sounds ok. Have checked volume controls & they are OK.Tried finding solution on MS help & MS KB but cant find anything helpfull. Checked for latest driver for Sound Max sound card & thats ok.

Any ideas on this appreciated. And if I use restore point back to before the Media player 9 was downloaded will it be gone forever and will I get the old media player back.. which seemed to work fine? BTW, I have SP1 and most updates to a month ago when I decided to hold back as they seemed to create so many problems.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: media player sound distortion (xp home)

If I'm not mistaken it will revert back to your existing Media Player if you do a System Restore to a point before you installed the newer version. Can't hurt to try, as long as you don't go any futher back then that point.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Before you go doing any system rollbacks, check your volume controls and also the WMP equalizer/SRS settings. My guess would be that one of them is overdriving the sound output and giving you distortion. For best performance, the volume sliders for your devices should max out around the 90% mark, any more than that and you could be introducing artifacts into the sound.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By lowering volume control on the actual media player, then adjusting volume with computer and speaker volume controls does seem to clear the distortion. But the sound is still not as clear as it used to be and there is a noticable difference in sound clarity using the Roxio player compared to media player....it doesnt sound so muffled...difficult to describe if you cant hear what I mean. Would it do any harm to uninstall media player 9 then download and re-install it again? see if that makes any difference?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it will hurt to remove it and reinstall via System Restore. I recall having this problem with Media Player 8 on one machine shortly after XP was released, and if memory serves there was an update to correct that problem. That doesn't help you in this case, but I do know exactly what distortion you're referring to, and it's annoying! I failed to ask, does this occur with just one source (CDs, for example) or does it affect all output from the player?
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jay--

In Mark's vein--I would check all of the "enhancement" settings View>Enhancements including all the settings on that slide out--Cross Fading and Auto Volume Levelling, Graphic Equalizer, Play Speed Settings, Quiet Mode, and SRS WOW effects. Check all the possible settings for Sound on the Control Panel and for your Sound card--strange things can alter the Sound applet's settings and those on the Sound card from time to time--it happens there rarely to me, but I haven't seen the enhancements ever change unless I changed them.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Also Ray--

For good measure I would unplug the speaker connections to the PC and plug back in, check physically on the speakers for any settings and check the number of speakers setting on the Sounds and Audio Devices applet on the Control Panel here, and if they are in order you either go to download another WMP9 and download another encoder and replace files that may be corrupted. Doing this helped me correct a few problems with the WMP9 Beta--or you can do a System Restore and then go to the links and get WMP9 again and the encoder--that might also work.

I'm not sure whether sounds just from the CD playback are distorted or all sources--for example a movie or offerings on the WMP Windows Media Site--Christina, Justin, Jewel and this Disney star Grommit who seems to have a Basset Hound head and the body of a bird as Mark asked--and how about the other sounds in the Windows system aside from WMP9's?

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for replys. Im sure its media player as a pre recorded cd doesnt play as clear sound as it used to either. even a pre recorded cd burned to blank cd via media player 8 now played on new player 9 is muffled and muzzy (I hope that makes sense to you) so Im thinking best to uninstall and go for media player 9again. will let you know what happens.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the tips. yep Ive been to the enhancements etc as you suggest and that all seems ok. As I replied to Wylly it just seems a problem with cd. tried a song or two from Windows Media Site as you suggested and sound seems ok on that, though hard to distinguish from your own personal cds. Im gonna try download another WMP9 and encoder and see if that makes a difference, will let you know what happens in a few days.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

decided to bite the bullet and restore my computer to an earlier time - that being...just before installing WMP9. When computer re started there was a message window "Your computer has recovered from a serious error" and send report to Microsoft which I did. On folowing this through the only info I could get was " error caused by device driver". Everything seems to be ok including no distortion on the media player (now back to version 8). I'm wary of downloading the upgrade WMP9 again, could somebody explain what might have happened? I never installed anything else new that I know of apart from WMP9.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Jay, Several things to check. BIOS update for the PC. BIOS update for the sound card. Driver update for the sound card - check the manufacturer's site. Not sure if WMP9 uses any directx functions but do you have Directx 9? Do you have Windows XP service pack 1 installed?

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jay--

Wondered how you were doing with this. You might get more information on the exact error by looking at Event Viewer on your control panel under the Administrative Tools Applet, and this might help you narrow down among the things Joe referenced (all very sound suggestions--no pun intended)-- easy to check--checking for your driver update is always a place to go and better decide a course. Click on both "Application and Systems" and see what's listed. I liked the Beta but had a few recurring problems, and I often made the move to download a new media player and encoder, with positive results. Once the RTM was out, I stopped having the problems which included some crashes, intermittent sound distortions--but only once in a while, so I could put up with them--I knew it was a Beta and I like its improved features. The driver reference helps--perhaps the driver was corrupted--it can happen.

Besides nailing the error with Event Viewer, you can try the Windows Crash Analysis site. It's a bit erratic, and might not yield anything, but often if you have reported the error, and it was deemed "serious", you can click on "Error Report Status" and get some information. Many times you will get that they have no information on this error yet.

I would encourage you to try to learn the error the above ways, and since now you are recovered from the error, and have used System Restore, I would encourage you also to try to download WMP9 and the encoder at the links I gave you. The download of WMP9 is going to set you a restore point, and you can always system restore if you're not happy with the result.

Good luck,

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, dont know how to check BIOS updates but sound card driver is ok and XP service pack1 is installed,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for useful tips SMBP. Windows Crash Analysis didnt yield much info except error caused by device driver. but going into event viewer I think the serious error was defined as conf.exe which Im wondering if that relates to netmeeting ?? as there was a problem connecting to a colleague for a video conference over the weekend? I will try again with WMP9 plus encoder this coming weekend as all the reports say it really is worth having. Meanwhile thanks to all for the suggestions as if nothing else I sure am beginning to increase my very limited knowledge of how these computers function!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jay--

I'll do some searching for "conf.exe" errors, netmeeting, and sound drivers--obviously connected to netmeeting, because putting that in the run box, will bring up net meeting. I haven't had to use it, just read about it so someone with experience in using it might be able to shed some light. Normally, of course you shouldn't have conflicts with net meeting and sound--perhaps netmeeting and your sound card driver found a way to conflict. Try to make sure you have the latest driver for your sound card-- either at the manufacturer's site, or after a time period sometimes given over to computer manufacturer's site. not necessarily a requirement for good sound, but they always try to tweak and make improvements for the stability and function of the driver sometimes major, sometimes minor. They will always list the changes that they made in getting to the latest driver.

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast