Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

File Association Problem

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by AlanMiller on 06-Jun-03 14:55. Problem solved.)</P>I'm having a problem with a file extension association. Specifically, it's the .NFO extension. This is, by default, associated with MSINFO32 but I have no .NFO files on my system and don't really have a need for this association. I do, however, often encounter such file extensions in zip archives, where it is used for text descriptions that utilise a sort of ASCII art, which needs a special text viewer to display as intended. I have such a text viewer and want to change the .NFO association accordingly.

So I went the usual route of getting into "Folder Options", added my new association, and set it as the default. This works as advertised - when I double-click a .NFO file from the Desktop or from Windows Explorer, it fires up in my viewer. The context menu also shows my "View" entry as the default. Now to the problem. I use UltimateZip as my archive viewer. Despite my changed association, this program still insists on associating .NFO with the MS default. Exen when I disable the association with MSInfo32, it complains that it can't find the program. This is a pest of course, because to view an .NFO as I want, I have to extract (D&D) to the desktop say, then view from there. I have a program called Freedom of Association to manage these types of tweaks, and it describes the association with MSInfo32 as a "System Default". I suspect that UltimateZip is picking this information up from somewhere, and this is what I'd like to change if possible.

<big>Just stumbled on this tip. which solved the problem:</big>
    Win 98/ME users have an out that Win 95 users don't. Find a program that has an incorrect file association with it in Explorer. Click it once to select it, then hold down the Shift key while right-clicking it. Choose Open With. Select the correct program, check the "Always use this program to open this type of file" box and click on OK. Or, if you don't find the program, click on the Other button and navigate to the correct program on your drive. Much easier than the older alternatives.

But I'm still interested in where all this information is stored and how it is organised. Any old posts or web articles people know of? Any information appreciated.

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Association Problem

Hi Alan:
    I don't have an answer to your questions, but thought I'd mention that I believe the "Open with..." technique worked with Win 95 too.
    Cheers,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This an area with which I am fairly well acquainted. I don't really like the way the "Open With..." dialog box works, nor do I like the Folder Options | File Types dialog box. I think they all provide less-than-complete solutions -- and can cause confusion. There are some third-party programs that work OK, but the best way is to dive into the registry itself.

The box in front of me (Win98) has NO default .nfo association -- double-clicking an NFO file leads to the Open With... box. However, I do find this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftShared ToolsMSInfo
    "cabdefaultopen"="*.nfo|hwinfo.dat"

This might control how .nfo files INSIDE of cabs are handled. You may need to 'remark' this key...

I have to run, but I'll look into this later.

As I read your post more critically, it looks like you are satisfied with the Open With... solution. Therefore, there really is no 'problem' left to solve!

If you just want to read about the HKCR section of the registry , there are some good pages at Microsoft:

Verbs and File Associations.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info R2. I agree that the whole treatment of this kind of shell extension is both messy and confusing. The default association I have is to MSINFO32, but that's not appropriate to these kinds of text files anyway. The way I ended up having to solve it, without losing this association, was to use a third party utility to create a new right-click entry:
    "Open in Msinfo32"
    I then changed the default "Open" to point to my viewer. I agree too, that the "Open with..." option is pretty useless. I'll ponder the MS references you gave too.

thanks

Alan