2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pictures in table (Access 2000 SR-1)

I've created a field (OLE/Object) in a table to contain graphics.
    The db starts of at ~100K, but when I insert one jpeg file with a size of 150k,
    the size of the mdb blows out to ~4.5Mb.
    The reason for inserting rather than linking is that the eventual users
    may not have access to the network folders where the graphic files reside.
    What happens when the graphic is inserted?

Thanks in advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Pictures in table (Access 2000 SR-1)

It's an unfortunate fact of life with pictures being stored in Access. The bottom line is if you need to store more than about 500 or so pictures, storing them as OLE objects isn't viable. The only answer is to store them in some sort of folder structure, and store the path to the file. The reasons are arcane, but this has been the case since Access 2.0. I've never seen a really down and dirty explanation of why it happens, but I believe it has to do with the fact that they store a full BMP version of the object rather than storing and then converting it each time one is displayed. Others may have further information on this issue.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell is correct - regardless of the format of the picture (.jpg, .png, .gif, ...), Access stores the picture PLUS a copy of it in the form of an uncompressed bitmap. Given the compression rate possible with JPEG, it is not surprising that a 150 KB .jpg file corresponds to a .bmp of over 4 MB.

For example, I just looked up a 1600 by 1200 pixel full color picture taken by a digital camera. As a .jpg with quite passable quality, it is 113 KB; as a bitmap, it is 5,626 KB (1600 x 1200 x 3 bytes = 5,760,000 bytes = 5,625 KB, plus some overhead). Storing the .jpg in the database would cause the .bmp to be stored too, so it would add a total of 5,739 KB plus some overhead to the database!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide specific guidance on how to add images to a form by reference to a file path (so that the image changes as each record changes).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The basic idea is:
    <UL><LI>Put the file path+file name in a text field.
    <LI>Use the On Current event of the form the update the image displayed in an unbound Image control. For example, the following code assumes that the text field is named PicFile and that the image control is named imgPicture:

Private Sub Form_Current()
    On Error GoTo HandleErr
    If Not IsNull([PicFile]) Then
    [imgPicture].Picture = [PicFile]
    Else
    [imgPicture].Picture = ""
    End If
    Exit Sub

HandleErr:
    If Err = 2220 Then ' Can't find picture file
    [imgPicture].Picture = ""
    Else
    MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation
    End If
    End Sub

<LI>You can add bells and whistles to let the user browse to a graphics file instead of typing the path+file name.[/list]I have attached a demo Access 97 database; you can convert it to Access 2000 format. The PicFile field is empty now; open the form and click "Insert Picture..." to browse for a graphics file. The database also contains a report that displays the picture(s). Take a look at the code behind the form and the report.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

THANK YOU for your very helpful and speedy reply! I will be implementing it over the weekend-with a little luck and a big assist from you.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

It worked perfectly. Thanks agian

Gary