Star Lounger
    Thanks

Routing Slip/Send for Review (Word 2002)

I have been pulling my hair out trying to understand the purpose of one of Word 2002's 'features', and could do with some help.

We want to be able to send out documents for review to several people at the same time, and for the reviewers to return the documents with suggested changes which can then be accepted or declined. The key thing is that we want to reviewers to be able to review and return at any time (not 1 after the other). We have been looking into the Routing slip feature as a way of doing this, but it's doing some confusing things.

So, with your document open that you want to be reviewed, you go to File, Send To, Routing Recipient. You choose your colleagues to be in your Routing Slip. Then, before closing the dialog box you can switch the 'Route to Recipients' setting to 'All at Once'. Click 'Add Slip' and that creates the Routing Slip. Then to send the document out you go to File, Send To, Next Routing Recipient and choose 'Route document to recipients all at once' from the next box that appears.

OK, now everyone has the e-mail with the document for review. All reviewers review the document using tracked changes to suggest amendments and additions. Once each reviewer has done this, they return the document to the sender by choosing File, Send To, Next Routing Recipient' and choosing 'Route document to [sender]' from the next box.

The original sender now has e-mails returned from the reviewers. So, you open the 1st e-mail's attachment with the suggested changes showing. And here's the rub.

The original sender now wants to be able to accept or reject the suggested changes. But you can't! Accepting or Rejecting has no effect. The Track Changes button on the Reviewing toolbar and the same command on the Tools menu are both greyed out .

So what's going on? Can this be put down to a bug or is this supposed to happen and I'm missing something?

Thanks for any help you can give, Laurie

Thanks

Re: Routing Slip/Send for Review (Word 2002)

I haven't tried what you're describing, but I imagine the documents are "locked for tracked changes" until they have completed their journey and return to the originator. It's possible that Word doesn't realize the designated "next recipient" (the sender) was the originator and the document is still protected. If that is true, can it be unprotected (Tools>Unprotect) without completing the circuit of all reviewers?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Routing Slip/Send for Review (Word 2002)

Thanks for your reply.

This DOES work. Unprotecting the document means you can then review the changes.

However, all is still not right! When you open the attachment from the e-mail you do not get asked the question about merging the changes back into the original. All you are doing is reviewing the copy in the Temp folder. So, although you are able to review it, it's worthless because you're not updating the original file.

Has anybody any experience of successfully using this All At Once feature?