4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Equation Editor

I have a long-standing problem with the equation editor that I hope you can help me with. I have gone several rounds with Microsoft and they cannot suggest what the problem might be.

I am running Office 97 with Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0 on two different machines, one at home and one at work. My office machine is running Windows 98 and has 128 MB of RAM. My home machine is running Windows 95 and has 96 MB of RAM. Both machines have a similar suite of common software titles and both exhibit the identical problem so it must either be a flaw with the Equation Editor or a conflict between the Equation Editor and a fairly common software title.

If I do the following:

1. Create an equation with Equation Editor
    2. Close out Equation Editor

the equation will appear normal on the screen. Now, if I double-click on the equation to edit it (or right-click on it and select either Edit or Open and

3. Make changes to the equation

it will appear normal on the screen and reflect all the changes I have made. If I highlight the equation and press F9 to recalculate the field, nothing unusual happens, that is, the equation remains unchanged.

Now, if I go to edit the equation a second time (by either right-clicking or double-clicking) as soon as the equation loads into Equation Editor, it reverts to its original (end of step 2) unedited form. If I then close the equation without making any changes, the version in the document reverts to its original form.

This happens no matter if I close and reopen the document between steps or even if I move the document from work to my home computer.

The net effect is I can never edit an equation. If I make even the slightest mistake, I must start over and build the equation from scratch rather than making a simple edit.

I am a statistics professor and I am writing a statistics textbook so this is a major deal to me. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Equation Editor

I would suggest you learn to write your equations in the field code instead of using the equation editor. The alternative is to do your creation with the equation editor and minor edits with editing the field code.

Click on the equation and press Shift-F9 to reveal the codes and F9 when you have finished editing the code. Print the one page help screen for the switches and syntax you will need.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Equation Editor

This does not work. When you show the fields, you do not get a complex set of fields that define the equation. Rather, all you get is one {EMBEDDED EQUATION} field that cannot be edited that I can see.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson