2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcuts Won't Open

Something weird is happening on just one of the computers in our office, which did not have the same problem yesterday. She has 2 shortcuts on her desktop to Excel (.xls) documents saved on our network server. So, she double clicks on the icon to open the program (Excel) and the document. The following message pops up "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

The .xls file does have an association set up in Explorer. Also, if the actual application "Excel" is open, the shortcut on the desktop opens the document. If it is not open, the above message pops up. Can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong overnight? For some reason it appears that double clicking on the shortcut icon on the desktop does not open the application. Also, the same thing is happening with a Public Folder shortcut (pointing to Outlook). These are the only shortcuts she has on her desktop. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Shortcuts Won't Open

Try creating another desktop shortcut to an .xls file and see if that works. If not, although the Explorer association may look right, it may have got corrupted. Try recreating it (find xls in the Registered File Types in Explorer, click Change > Edit... It wants to looks something like the attached, although the path may differ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (11.8 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did everything you told me to do, but still couldn't open the documents from the shortcuts, unless the application was open. Here's what happened. The name of the document I was trying to open is "who is here.xls". When I try to open it from the icon shortcut, I get 3 messages -- one says it can't find "who", secondly it can't find "is" and thirdly it can't find "here". When I changed the name of the document to one word "whoishere", it opened just fine from the shortcut. Why is that?

Thanks

Is the DDE message setting exactly as my attachment above?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, except I couldn't see the end of the path on your attachment under "Application used to perform action:". So I browsed to locate the path (which is the same as yours), then put a space and /e.

Thanks

OK, my full path is<pre>"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10EXCEL.EXE" /e</pre>

I need to think some more about this one...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just checked the file registration info on her computer again. As I told you, I added the /e after the path, but after the /e, the computer keeps putting in a "space and %1". I go back in and remove it -- check it again and it's back in there. Any idea what's going on? Also, when I close out of the final box after making the changes, the "Apply" button is dimmed so I just click on "Close". I did a "print screen" of the setup and I'm attaching it in a Word document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try adding "%1" including the quotes after /e

If that doesn't help, try the following:

Make sure Excel is not active.
    Select Start | Run...
    Enter "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Excel.exe" /regserver
    Click OK
    This will "re-register" Excel.

Note: If you have installed Office XP in a non-standard location, you will have to modify the path to Excel.exe above.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IT WORKED!! Now I can quit pulling my hair out. I put quotes around the "%1" and the shortcut on the desktop opened correctly, at last. I don't know what caused the problem in the first place, but at least it's working again. Thanks for your help.