Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Denied Access IE Options (IE6 SP1 XPProSP1)

Have an error message shown below. IE and XP working well except that when I click Tools>Internet Options I get the "This op has been cancelled due to restrictions on the computer. Contact Administrator." I am the adminstrator on this non-networked machine. Nothing new Add/Remove. I just ran Ad-Aware 6 and Spy Bot S&D. I also went to download the new update to Spyblaster and it stopped the download "due to restrictions." Nothing new on the Administrator Profile at the Ctrl Panel Applet. Could run sys. restore but want to find another way, and most of all the reason for this. Rebooted twice no help.

Appreciate any solutions.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Denied Access IE Options (IE6 SP1 XPProSP1)

SMBP, see config options on Spybots Immunize tab.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Another victim of the Immunize tab... ;-]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Telo and R2 have already told you why. You can still set these options by right clicking the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop and selecting Properties.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I actually believe that the Control Panel | Internet Options dialog box is exactly the same as the one that you get through Tools | Internet Options in IE -- if one does not work, the other will not work.

If you don't want to use Spybot to fix this, you can always modify the registry yourself and reverse this. Drill down to:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftInternet ExplorerRestrictions]

And change the NoBrowserOptions from 0x00000001 to 0x00000000.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that key and value change R2. I knew there would be a fix in the registry and you would probably know it. I guess the quick move is to untick that IE box--since it seems to be designed to protect a machine on a network--but unless that machine hits the registry and makes the edit--it is apparently locked out itself as well.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I dislike that fact that Spybot includes those options -- because all they really do is make it difficult for the user. Those "Policy Restriction" settings really are most useful in a corporate environment where the Administration wants to keep the users from making modifications to the corporate Home Page or the Internet settings. I don't think they have ANY role in a single user computer. I don't believe Spybot has any business sticking those settings on the Immunize tab...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Whoops! This must have been the place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Rick,

I won't pretend for a minute that I am an expert in this, but I have managed to lock myself out of Tools | Internet Options in IE, and the registry key you mention is set to 0x00000001, yet I can open that dialog by right-clicking the IE icon on my desktop, or through the Control Panel.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Telo, R2, Hans--

Thanks for such great lounge service. That's exactly what happened--I committed a cardinal sin. I read the "Immunize tab" of Spybot was important possibly in Spybot Help, maybe on the site, and clicked it--got the ticks to immunize myself against x amount of bad guys and said "sure" (249 of them to be exact)-- it seemed so simple I though I could read up on it later. That's exactly what I ran before this happened, and I should have included that running it in Spybot was the last thing I did immediately before. Is it one particular box not to tick? As in this glitch: Can't Change Homepage. I went to the Spybot forum and found I can't access my IE settings anymore! and I must have locked myself out of Internet Options by blocking access to "IE settings." Thanks for the alternatip work-around Hans. Does anyone know a link to the best discussion of this and how the mechanism of the lockout actually works? All in all though Spybot is a great example to me of useful freeware that is good at explaining its pitfalls and has a forum that'll go after its issues and spyware issues in general really well.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That's good enough for me! I never tried it -- I just ASSumed. That makes the "Policy Restriction" that much more USELESS!

It only serves as an annoyance -- since the exact same dialog box can be accessed other ways.

Again, this points to how this is NOT a useful "Security" measure but only serves to ANNOY the user. It should be removed from Spybot.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I could not agree more. I have written about this on several forums (fora) -- even some I think that Patrick frequents -- yet to no avail. This is a mis-guided method of "protecting" someone by eliminating their ability to control Internet Explorer. This is NOT protection against the Home Page Hijack, nor is it a method to prevent a script from modifying your Internet settings. It serve one purpose and one purpose alone -- to prevents the end-user from modifying his settings.

Again, for a single-user/owner, this type of "Security" is nothing more than a major annoyance. I think Patrick is completely off-base on his decision to include this in Spybot.

Because of this exact post, I have decided to FLOOD several forum (fora) with this information. I, for one, am tired of having to explain Patrick's INCORRECT decision to include these on the Immunize tab. Let's see what I am capable of pulling off!! Let's us all test the "power of one"... Certainly worth the two minutes it took me to copy and paste my opinion...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You're exactly right there. It is amazing or maybe not how much time can be wasted in software apps, and in particular Windows whichever flavor, (I suspect some of the experienced Office users in the lounge might say the same of Word or Excel or Acess menus and boxes, I don't know there)-- simply because a tiny three word warning or label wasn't made to warn or specify--i.e. those boxes could have been fenced into a little area with a label "for corporate/enterprise users" and a short explanation in smaller print as to what they are really for--I'm not sure that they need to be there at all--because when you think about it an administrator has a lot of ways to control the settings in Windows IE by editing group policy, group policy objects, Active directory, ect. -- like this chat.

Patrick Kolla (the maker of Spybot that got PC World's award for Best Privacy Software 2003) has to be smart enough to know that each user is never going to opt to lock himself out of that IE Options tabs--too much they might have to do there. It takes a restart after you undo the tick. This is off the realm of Spybot per se,but I wish I could be allowed to clarify a some of the very ambiguous labels in IE and XP that causes analagous problems. And if someone stumbles onto some clear labelling for so many registry keys and subkeys that are not clarified and values with Mickey Mouse names I'd really like to see it.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have not been hitting some of the Spybot and Spyware fora--but I am going to be looking at them now. I'll help and see if I can't get a response from him, you may have already--I don't think it would be difficult for them to change that feature if they wanted to--surely he monitors the one I linked to. He has margin copy around the links to it and the FAQ. Again, he knows if an enterprise IT person worth their salt wants to tweak access to the browser or most any menu feature in XP or 2000 or IE they have all kinds of tools to do that without those checkboxes and one would think with the money involved from downtime in an enterprise or some small businesses there would be a number of approaches to do that kind of control. I have seen presentations where GPO's and the use of Scriptomatic, batch files, ect. are able to tweak tiny little features in XP to permit access or no access and I'm sure a lot of people here are experienced at using them.

Appreciate the perspective. I know that I have been able to and helped to troubleshoot by becoming more attentive to different forms of spyware, understanding it, and going after it and I believe now many more problems in the last two years I attributed to other software conflicts, driver problems, or bugs may well have been a form of spyware doing its thing. And a lot of the people who introduce the spyware on your system probably don't have a clue as to the problems it can bring--or maybe care.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I wish you luck, Rick. I agree, too. But I'm afraid it's an uphill battle. Each version of Microsoft Word has made it more difficult for users to do the same tasks. It's all about marketing.
    Regards,