Super Moderator
    Thanks

Network Printer not availble to one machine

I have three computers at home, each running win98, networked via a 10BaseT hub. They can share files OK and share two inkjet printers running off two of the machines.

I have just bought a 2nd hand HP Laserjet 5N with a Jetdirect card and plugged it into the hub and am trying to configure the three machines to use it. Works fine from two of the machines, but third will not recognise it.

As far as I can see each computer has got the same options available in the network control panel. I attach an image of all the availble protocols .

The HP Install Netwrok Printer wizard assigned an IP address to the printer , and I can Ping this address OK from two machines, but third says address is unreachble. I also have a hardware address for the printer, but that is recognised either.

I can't think of what else to try.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network Printer not availble to one machine

When you ran the HP Printer Wizard on the problem machine, what happened? If you got an error message, what was the full text of it?

Lounger
    Thanks

Three simple solutions you might try. One: try switching hub ports/cables and see if that make a machine work and another not, etc. Two: make sure you have the lastest drivers for the HP for the WIN98 machines. Somtimes depending on what WIN98 version you have makes a differance. Three: try and uninstall the software totally on the machine not working and reboot then reinstall it. I found with HP network printers sometimes that does the trick. Let me know if that helps any or not.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Here is the exact error message I get.

If I ask the wizard to find Network printers, it doesn't find any at all, so instead I enter either the IP address or the hardware address, which then produces this error message.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have tried using different ports on the hub and that didn't help.

I have found a workaround which might have to do. I have connected the printer to the parallel port on my computer ( as well as to the hub) and shared it.
    The 'problem' computer is quite happy to recognise it and use it when it is shared from my computer, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with drivers etc. ( I am using drivers I downloaded from HP.)

Is there any problem having the printer simultaneously connected to both my computer and to the hub? Actually I want to swap it to the serial port once I buy the right cable, so I can keep using the parallel one for an inkjet.
    Regards
    John