2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

818529 (XP Home/SP1)

Has anyone installed the Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer (818529) on either XP or 98?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 818529 (XP Home/SP1)

I have, on XP....no problems here.
    -Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Ditto, at work and at home. Ditto results.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ray--

What side effect(s) is it causing for you--or have you read/heard about something that has made you hesitate to install it?

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had not installed it. Was waiting for some feedback.
    I did not get any feedback for Win98, but have gone ahead and installed on both XP and Win98 this morning.
    Hopefully, if it does not cause any XP problems, it will be OK on Win 98 systeams.

Ray A.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ray--

I'm beginning to believe that when patches for IE/XP come out, without seeming too obsessive, or that other word that's used for this behavior, I might search Microsoft Watch or Extreme Tech which is a good excuse to check these sites anyway, or Bugtraq at Security Focus or Google Groups or a dozen other places for this. I am not sure still if you are just being cautious or heard something--I can understand in the wake of some of the patch problems highly publicized lately and I fear this is going to scare some people off patching period which could hurt everyone in the longrun, but now I'm wating a little while to patch. I noticed the trend from Woody in his newsletters lately has been that he is holding off patching somewhat.

A quick google groups search brings reports of slowing and 818529 Kills OE and a total of 15 Google Groups Threads in the past 72 hours.

With the experiences I've had and heard in the last week with some of the BHO's like my friend showbar.exe that will crash IE-- keeps coming back and taking shelter in the Windows Prefetch folder after I kick it off and try to find it living in different subkeys--I couldn't after a careful search--but I might have still missed it there--I begin to wonder if some of the patch problems are because of spyware or other conflicts and the sometimes the patches are getting a black eye.

It's a little hard to argue with immediate iimprovement after the patch is booted off though, or specific complaints like OE being crashed or not opening.

I'll have to look at these threads and then after being a littlemore obsessive figure out whether to install it. I know they are hardly a statistical sample but...

SMBP