New Lounger
    Thanks

Cells won't format in Excel (2000 )

In some large spreadsheets I've had a problem where over time cells won't format. This includes using the menu bar or right clicking and selecting "format cell". When either is selected, the format screens won't appear. This doesn't necessarily happen on all cells. The cells, worksheets and workbook are not protected. The only way I've found around this is to recreate the entire workbook from scratch. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cells won't format in Excel (2000 )

I'm not sure about this, but perhaps there are too many custom number formats in the spreadsheets. Although the number of custom number formats is only limited by available memory in theory, in practice the limit seems to be reached quite soon.

See http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/eee/eee007.txt for a macro that deletes unused number formats (you'll have to scroll down a bit; the relevant section is "Power Programming Technique" by Leo Heuser).

I can't guarantee that this will help, but it's worth a try. Make a backup copy of the workbook you try it on first, just in case...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cells won't format in Excel (2000 )

Thanks, Hans
    I'll give that a try and post my results here.
    Dave