New Lounger
    Thanks

.NET Com Interop Compatibility (Office 2000/XP)

I have written a class library (DLL) which basically exposes all my data objects and does all the work of connecting to my datasource and populating my objects. Each object also has a single function which returns an array of "markers" and their corresponding data for use as a sort of custom document merge engine. So my litigation object has one function called ReturnMarkers that sends an array of this sort:

myarray(0) = "xMergeMarkerLitigationDefendant|" & m_strLitigationDefendant
    myarray(1) = "xMergeMarkerLitigationPlaintiff|" & m_strLitigationPlaintiff

(This was a solution I figured out that I had posted a question on in the VBA forum earlier this month). I can either use the object's data directly (if I need to display it in a form, for instance, then I'd access it as myLitigationObject.Defendant) or if there is no user input necessary, I run a single function that iterates through the possible markers filling them in based on the array. That's the background.

I've done this often in VB6 but this is my first solution in .NET. We are currently using Office 2000. I can use XP if I want to, if it would give me any benefit and I'm awaiting Office 2003 which I just found out will likely not ship until 3rd quarter. Since Office 2003 is not here, I am using COM Interop in my assembly.

All if fine and good but I'm finding myself in a worse DLL Hell than if I'd just stuck with VB6. Today I made a simple addition to one of the arrays in one of my classes and my template lost its reference to my assembly [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] *SOB* This is an ongoing project with over 600 templates, 1600 various merge marker possibilities that all have to be built in department by department. I will be adding functions and markers for months to come but need to be able to roll out one department at a time. So I might do litigation this month then start working on a real estate department set.

Has anyone successfully built and is using a DLL written in .NET and knows the ins and outs of this COM Interop compatibility stuff? In VB6 I only had to worry if I broke compatibility by removing or redefining a function but never when adding a function or even just adding stuff inside a function. I'm beginning to become very worried about using .NET without Office 2003 and there seems to be very very little documentation about COM Interop out there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .NET Com Interop Compatibility (Office 2000/XP)

Mhmmmmm....... it also seems to be inconsistent. I just sat and added a function, added an argument, deleted the argument, then the function...and nothing broke. But 15 minutes ago it did. I'll keep testing but I'd be curious to hear any input any of you have if you've been using .NET with COM Interop and Word.