Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Install XP on new HD? (W XP SP 1)

I currently have XP Home Edition installed as an upgrade to my old W98. I just purchased a new 60GB HD and intend to install it on my computer in lieu of my present drive. I know that the upgrade version of XP will need to verify a previous installation. My questions are:

1. Do I have to install W98 on the new drive before I install XP or will XP be happy with just inserting the W98 CD during installation?

2. I need to use the NTFS file system for the new drive, but if I have to install W98 first it will use FAT32, and how will W98 cope with a 60GB drive?

3. What sort of problems will I have with XP activation since I already activated it with the old HD?

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Install XP on new HD? (W XP SP 1)

<hr>1. Do I have to install W98 on the new drive before I install XP or will XP be happy with just inserting the W98 CD during installation?<hr>

This should cover your Question just scroll down and read all the posts. Here

As for Activation. My understanding is that you will need to do this by Telephone and ask for a live operator and tell him you have a new Hard Drive and he will give you the new number.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Chuck,
    1.) You don't have to install W98 first. XP will ask for 'proof' during the install.
    2.) See above. NTFS will be fine.
    3.) If you can not automatically activate there will be a phone number (be sure to put in your location information) on the activation screen. You should be able to easily re-activate just by telling MS that you changed disks. Be prepared to write down a very long activation number.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the installation will be a piece of cake! (Now, let's hope I don't have to eat the cake.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows has a very detailed series of tutorials that seem to cover most XP installations (scroll about half way down the page to Windows XP Super Installation Guide).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That's a very comprehensive set of instructions.