5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Users logged in (Access 2000/2002)

I've created a database, which is run on a network. Sometimes I need to perform maintenance tasks, but can't because people are using it. Is there any way of me being able to view who's online, or telling users to log off through the system, or logging them off myself?

Rob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Users logged in (Access 2000/2002)

(Edited by HansV to activate URL - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

check out this site http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/a...ulti.htm#LOGOFF

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks ZAve. I followed the link and followed the instructions, but I'm not sure how to use it now I've created the code.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The author left one thing out of his instructions: you must create a link to the backend table tblLogOff in the frontend database. Apart from that, the instructions are reasonably complete. What part causes problems?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is your database split into a front-end and a back-end? If not, doing that and deploying the front-ends to workstations would simplify your life greatly. In addition, it would improve performance, and make your database more reliable. (I'm assuming that most of the maintenance you need to do is related to forms and reports - if it's in the back-end, you can set it to compact and repair automatically). If you have lots of users, the issue of getting them all out so you can repair a corrupted system.mdw, or a corrupted front-end gets almost unmanageable.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still learning really. I don't know what you mean by front end, back end. The database is stored on the network and other people access it. I don't know how to initiate the code.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Nearly all of us are still learning every day! The idea of a front-end and a back-end is that the database is split into two .MDB files. The front-end contains the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules used by your database, and the back-end contains just the tables. There is a Access wizard that will actually do the splitting for you. For more details on database splitting, see our tutorial on the subject.

Pragmatically, if you only have 2 or 3 users, it isn't a big deal to chase them out so you can make changes, but when you get to 10 or 15 it gets to be more of an issue and when you 50 or 100 it's a big deal. The code you were pointed to was developed some time ago for Access 2, 95 and 97 and has been updated to work with later versions, but isn't as necessary. Starting with Access 2000, the idea of a compact on close was added. Thus, the need for maintenance on a back-end was reduced considerably - obviously if you are making design changes at the table level, that could require that you have exclusive control, but that is one area where Access will let you make changes without exclusive control. Also note that the solution ZAve pointed you to presumes that you have a secured database.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was out of touch a little. I see Hans and Wendell are doing just fine w/o me.