New Lounger
    Thanks

Bound OLE Objects (2000 +)

I have a question on Access. I have a database in Access that is very large. I want to put a link on our firm's intranet to access this database easily. The problem is that since the database is large, it takes a minute or two to open up from the intranet. I was told that I could make a Access Page with all of the information in it. The problem is that the database has an OLE bound object in each entry. That is the most important thing in the database. Do you have any suggestions on either a way to create a page with an OLE object or to compact the database itself to open up easy on the net. I already did the compact and repair feature and it made it smaller but not by much. THanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bound OLE Objects (2000 +)

If by an OLE Bound Object, you mean that you have graphics or documents of some kind stored in the database itself, nothing is going to make it significantly smaller or speed it up because you've built yourself a monster. The proper way to handle this is to put the actual files in a location everyone has access to and store the link to that location in the database.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I have suggested that in the past and that is something that is not wanted. The OLE objects are embedded pdf files. If we kept them on a shared drive, they would take up too much space. I appreciate your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid you're stuck then. Embedding OLE objects in an Access database causes the database to bloat; you and I can regret it, but that's the way it is, there is no remedy of workaround for it (as already remarked by Charlotte). Accessing a humongous database via the (intra)net is not pleasant...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In addition to Hans' comments, you actually take up more space when you put the object into an Access database, and you have a defined upper limit for an Access database that further constrains you. Depending on the size of you PDFs, you may well only be able to store 500 to 1000 records before you hit that limit.
    Wendell