Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

RAM for Packard Bell

I use a PB Multimedia S605. I have 64 MB or RAM, running W98 with a 233 MHz Pentium processor. I'd like to upgrade my RAM. Many moons ago, I wrote to PB to ask about what kind of RAM sticks I'd need. They told me I could buy anybody's RAM until I hit the 64 MB size. That's what I'll need to go beyond the 64 MB I now have (2 X 32 MB). PB said that if I want to buy a 64 MB stick, I'd have to buy it from Packard Bell and only Packard Bell. I thought their price was bit steep at the time, so I didn't buy. Now Packard Bell seems to have dropped off the radar screen. I have not a clue what makes PB's RAM sticks different from anybody else's. Can anybody offer any thoughts? If PB has tubed, where can I get RAM? BTW: Does anybody know what happened to Packard Bell? (Maybe no one cares--everyone I talk to says nobody's gonna miss them.)

Thanks

Re: RAM for Packard Bell

Try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kingston.com/>Kingston</A> - they have a drop-down list of manufacturers that includes PB - I didn't venture any further.
    Good luck.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. The web site's drop-down list does not include my model, but I've written to Kingston's marketing department.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Usually proprietary brand RAM means that it has to meet exact specs pretty strictly. It does not mean you necessarily have to buy their over-priced stuff. (at least, that's my experience).
    Read your mother-board manual carefully, then have a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.crucial.com>Crucial</A>. They sell just about every type of RAM (and there are dozens) at remarkably low prices. eg. 256Mb ECC PC133 for 65ukp. Mine arrived, post-free, two working days after it was ordered. Crucial have Packard bell RAM and models in their lists, - many of which use the now relatively old and expensive EDO RAM. You could do worse than give them a try.