New Lounger
    Thanks

Sig. Blocks-HTML/Rich Text (Outlook 2002-SP2)

Hi, all. I've checked the posts and have seen a few posts similar to this but not quite what I need.

When I create a signature in Outlook it looks fine in HTML messages. However, if I use that signature to reply to Rich Text messages, it looks completely different. The signature block was created in Word and cut-and-pasted in as the signature block. There are no "graphics" except the TrueType fonts used.

Also, after hitting "Reply" then "Format", there is no option to use HTML instead of Rich Text. The only other option is "plain text".

Since I send mail in HTML, this is no problem. But when I reply to messages created in Rich Text, the sig. block is just messed up. Is there a simple work around for this? I checked the MS Knowledge Base, and they acknowledge it's a problem (isn't that sweet of them?) but offer no real solution.

(BTW, for plain text, the signature comes up just as plain text which is fine.)

Any and all suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for your help.
    Brent

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sig. Blocks-HTML/Rich Text (Outlook 2002-SP2)

The only suitable workaround I've found is to edit the signature blocks manually in Word (or your choice of RTF editors) and clean them up there. Once saved outside of Outlook, they will be fine in the RTF formatted messages. The signatures in Win2000/XP are stored in {root}ocuments and Settings{user}Application DataMicrosoftSignatures. If someone else has a better solution, I'm all ears!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

What you need to realise is that OL keeps up to THREE sets of signatures, one for each of the possible formatting styles (Plain Text, HTML, RTF)

If you look in the signatures folder (listed in the previous post), you will see the appropriate files. I have found it best to edit these files manually as OL, Word, etc tend to add lots of rubbish that are not really required and can end up messing up the layout in an email.

RTF files are actually text with a markup format not that dissimilar to html so you can edit them in notepad if required to get rid of any unnecessary markup previously added by OL or Word. Better is to re-create the file using Wordpad (AKA Write).

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for the great responses. With your feedback and some scattered thoughts here and there, I found this to be a pretty easy work around (assuming you prefer sending email from Outlook in HTML format, as is my company's preference):

Go to Tool | Options | Mail Format. Change "Compose in this message format" to Rich Text and hit apply. Then, go click on "Signatures" to create/revise/edit the signatures. "OK" back out to the Mail Format tab, switch back to HTML in the "Compose in this message format" box and hit "OK". Creating the signatures in RTF seems to make a difference to Outlook's outlook. Then the signature block looks the same in both HTML and Rich Text Format messages.

As per my original post, this helps because people outside the company will send us messages in RTF and it was messing up the HTML sig block. This solution seems to work very well.

I had originally created the sig blocks in Word as RTF and it just wasn't working for the different types of email formats. It appears that creating/editing the signature blocks in Outlook helps prevent losses of or changes in formatting.

Thanks Loungers! You've always been a great help. Hope I can return the favor one day.