2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 - Is It Worth It? (IE 5.5)

Howdy all. I'm running 98SE and IE & OE 5.5. Since MS has put 5.5 on extended support, and will quit supporting it with updates altogether in Dec '03, I'm thinking of upgrading to IE6. Is there still a hassle with the e mail attachments (in OE - I don't use Outlook)? Is it really worth the trouble? Please let me know your opinion(s). Thanks in advance,
    Mike.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 - Is It Worth It? (IE 5.5)

Mike--

I would definitely go to IE6SP1, but look the IE, XP threads, and Woody's newsletters over before applying some of the patches--the thread will have "patch", "update". or "hotfix" in it. Here are some of the new features and How Tos and the overview. This is a review.

SMBP

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I can think of two reasons that it's worth it - to me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1) The cookie control. About time, if ya ask me. Not everyone makes use of it, of course - but I don't like having third-party cookies being stuffed onto my PC, so I enable custom control and deal with it. You can also specify certain sites that are allowed to place them.

2) It's the most recent version of the code, and as such has a lot of the vulnerabilities taken care of from past versions. It will be supported longer, as you already noted - so for that reason alone, it's worth it. There have been patches, and always will be, but keeping current usually means fewer problems from known issues in previous iterations.

As far as OE, I don't use it, so I can't speak to it - there have been some complaints about it but if I recall they've been corrected, and it's now a decent update.

HTH,
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Check out this Browser if you want a nice Browser with a lot of control Avant Browser